MacBook Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Krafty, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I had it sitting on my desk, and I was talking to a friend at the door. I closed the door and turned around and accidentally hit my water bottle, but only a little spilled on it. I cleaned it up and it seemed alright. My friend sent me an IM and as soon as I started typing the whole thing just shut down.

After a few tries and thoughts about throwing it over the balcony, it booted. It seemed fine but after the boot screen the display started flickering, and the sleep light came on.

My friends tried it, and the screen started flickering now with the booting screen. I have Apple Care but I'm in college and can't wait for it to be fixed and I have no money for a new one.

What now?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Shut it down and give it a chance to dry out. The water will evaporate, if it's only a little. Leave it at least overnight.

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

What about the screen? Is that damaged? The sleep light just stays on, even when I open it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Power it off, don't just put it to sleep. Give it time to dry out. The longer you run it while wet, the more risk you have of damage. Taking the battery out wouldn't hurt.

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

It wont turn on at all. The sleep light just stays on. Even when I held down the power button and press it then it goes off, but when I press it again the sleep light came on and thats all.

6. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Okay, now its working but the screens all red. Better than nothing I guess. I heard it wasnt convered by AppleCare which I think is BS. If i paid extra I should get extra, sure it was a mistake but its not like I didn't pay them already for extended "Care." Everytime I had to send my MacBook in they replaced the Logic board for no reason, and now I have reason but they wont replace it which is what I don't get. I've had it for a good amount of years to say I've been pretty careful, but whatever. **** happens, **** company policies, **** economy. Better get used to it.

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

*cough* (once again)

8. eman macrumors 6502a

You should have immediately removed the battery and magsafe and allowed the macbook to dry out for several days. Because you failed to follow solid good advice, your macbook logic board may be ruined. If the macbook logic board is ruined from a liquid spill, Apple will still repair it for around $800.

9. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

He asked me to let it dry overnight...which I did. Fail.

And $800 is almost the price of a new MacBook.

10. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

So I got up, went into the bathroom, came back and my screen was normal...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course it isn't covered! AppleCare isn't an insurance policy; it's an extended warranty. It doesn't cover damage caused by the user, and it shouldn't.
    No, you didn't. 1 hour, 26 minutes is NOT overnight!

12. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

That was before I saw his suggestion. And its working now, I dont even know why your replying.