Macbook stops charging (new) battery after boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ohthehugemanate, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ohthehugemanate, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

ohthehugemanate macrumors newbie

I have an early 2007 macbook, still in great shape, running 10.6.x. Recently the battery indicator started telling me to replace the battery, so I did. But it still showed the X indicator with "no battery", and the battery wasn't charging according to the LEDs on the unit.

So I reset the SMC, and immediately the battery started charging and the magsafe indicator turned orange. So far so good. I let it charge to full, then turned on the computer. At first the battery indicator was working fine, showed 97% and charging etc... but within a couple of minutes after booting, the X came back and says No Batteries Available. The charger LED has gone green, and the battery's LEDs do not indicate that it is charging. I can unplug the computer and it will run on battery power until the battery dies, but the OSX icon will say 0% charge and "Replace immediately" the entire time. Plugging it back in just gets me the X and non-charging behavior again. Once this has happened, the only way to make the battery charge again (that I've found) is to reset the SMC.

So in summary, if I reset the SMC the battery charges. But once OSX has booted (and interestingly, it happens AFTER the GUI loads, sometimes several minutes into using the computer), it stops working!

Any advice? This doesn't sound like a busted circuit to me. The battery connectors look clean, and I assume they're working because until OSX gets going everything works fine.

EDIT: I just realized that charging seems to work with the computer powered off. I'm presently booted again, and timing how long it takes for the battery icon to go X. Also taking advantage of the time when OSX recognizes the battery to post the (thoroughly normal) battery status:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: 9G925P26G4M0A
    Manufacturer: PP
    Device name: A
    Pack Lot Code: 4274
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0000
    Hardware Revision: 0000
    Cell Revision: 0000
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1260
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 5400
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 2
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 1927
    Voltage (mV): 11619

2. ohthehugemanate thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I timed it... this time the battery indicator was fine for almost exactly 10 minutes after the Finder first appears on boot. It makes me think the power management process - or some component of it - is crashing.