macbook stuck at apple screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Blackphyre, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Blackphyre macrumors newbie

hi i got my mac book about w year ago ad suddenly it has started getting stuck at the apple screen when i turn it on, i can leave it on for as long as i want but it never starts up

i tried resetting my PRAM

and when i use apple-v the last line it comes up with is:
    vmnet: netif-vmnet8: Adding protocol 2.

im running snow leopard and i just got it yesterday, when i preformed the system updates thats when it started crashing.

2. musicdad61 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I had a similar issue with my 2 yr old iMac. It would begin starting up, the grey screen with the apple logo would appear and then after about 1 minute or so, it would restart. It would do this endlessly. Apple Genius bar guy determined that the hard drive was no longer functional and I had to replace my hard drive. Fortunately, I purchased the AppleCare warranty and even more fortunately, I had been using Time Machine to back up to an external hard drive. After I got the hard drive put in and the OS reinstalled by Apple, I restored all my data with my Time Machine backup.

Sorry that this doesn't really solve your problem, but it sounds similar to what happened to me. Perhaps someone else has a different experience and your hard drive is still operational!

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

That last line isn't particularly useful. What's the rest of it say? Do you see any I/O errors?

4. Minicube macrumors regular

Do you have Disk Warrior or another trouble-shooting tool (you should have at least one). Sometimes it's a simple as rebuilding the directory of HD. I have Tech Tool Pro and Disk Warrior on an external drive. I boot from that and run diagnostics on the malfunctioning HD.

5. chrisman macrumors newbie

Do you hear any clicking noises?
    I would boot from the install disk then repair permissions and repair the disk.