Macbook stuck at purple planet screen after update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jabbatheslut, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jabbatheslut macrumors newbie

Ok so here's the situation:

Yesterday i downloaded iTunes 10.5 in order to update my ipad2 to ios 5 (with a genuine developers account). After downloading, iTunes gave me an error message saying the iPad couldn't be updated (error 3002, if that means anything). I haven't used the macbook for a while and figured downloading the latest hardware might fix it. It downloaded fine, but after the reboot I'm stuck at the purple planet screen and nothing happens. I don't think the update even installed as I haven't seen any progress bar. I've turned it on and off after leaving it at the planet screen overnight without results. I've also tried resetting the pram, with no effect.

To further complicate things, the display is broken so I'm using an external monitor which means I have to close the lid of the macbook just after turning it on for the external one to light up.

It's one of those black macbooks from a couple years ago, with upgraded ram and new battery. Apart from the iTunes problem (which might be unrelated) it was running (snow leopard) fine before restart.

Anyone know what might be wrong, or what i can do?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It sounds like the broken display on your MacBook is still set as the main display with the menu bar being shown on it. This is why you are not seeing anything on the external and why you never saw a progress bar when you installed the update.

I honestly don't know of a way to move the menu bar to that external monitor since you can't see anything on the MacBooks display since that is the main display. Maybe someone else knows but I don't know of a fix.

3. jabbatheslut thread starter macrumors newbie

Yees. Yes you might be right. But before the update I was able to use the external one just fine, I think it mirrored the macbook screen instead of expanding it, if that makes sense. Could the update have reset this setting somehow?

4. jabbatheslut thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, how can I change the primary monitor if I can't access system preferences? I'm trying to run it in "clamshell mode" or whatever but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Have you tried unplugging your monitor from the MB while it is running in clamshell and then plugging it back in?