Macbook suddenly extremely slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duaumun, Jun 8, 2011.

1. duaumun macrumors newbie

It's like a flip was switched. Last night my macbook went from fast with many applications open, to slow with very few open. If music is playing either on iTunes or in another Chrome tab, it often pauses as does everything else I'm working on. While typing this, my computer froze for a good 20 seconds. I've tried everything I can think of--repair permissions, empty cache, disk utility/activity monitor, apple jack...I just can't find the problem. I think it has to do with a torrent I downloaded (GuitarPro), but I erased everything and the problem persists. A quick answer is greatly appreciated; this is really hampering my work (not to mention the annoyances!)

Thanks so much for reading/attempting to help me!

2. duaumun thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. Other things I've tried: Onyx, reset PRAM/NVRAM, reinstall software, update software, clear corrupt preferences, reset to sometype of factory thing by removing battery and holding power button, booting from install DVD...I just can't shake this. It was so sudden, I feel like it can't be a RAM/HDD problem--at least half my HD is free. I'm pretty baffled and this is killing me, I'd love some help!

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Reads like you've done everything but a clean install, so try that and then reinstall your programs. I would not restore from a backup.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Run Disk Utility and have it check your HDD. I don't expect that it is failing, but it could be possible.