MacBook suddenly not fully going to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Samelson03, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Samelson03, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Samelson03 macrumors 6502

Right before I go to sleep, I put my MacBook to sleep. For the past week or so, I've noticed that the little light next to the sensor isn't pulsing. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. Any ideas?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Samelson03, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as I know, it stays lit up. But who knows, it could finally go to sleep when I finally fall asleep. I'll do an SMC reset tomorrow. Did some researching and it seems like that usually fixes the problem. BTW, thanks for a speedy reply. Fastest reply i've ever gotten!

4. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, resetting the SMC didn't work. Any other ideas?

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you Caffeine or InsomniaX/T installed? What exact MacBook and Mac OS X version do you use?
    Check the Console for hints.

6. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have any of those apps installed. I have the 2007 model and I have 10.7.1.

7. simsaladimbamba

What does Console say? You can put the Mac to sleep via closing the lid or using CMD+OPTION/ALT+EJECT or :apple: > Sleep and wait for five minutes, then use the Mac again and copy the Console log from that time frame and post it here.
    Have you looked at GGJstudios's links yet?

8. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too sure how to use Console. I followed the instructions on the website but I still managed to screw something up.

Also, this website (http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/17/why-mac-wakes-from-sleep/) says to enter ''syslog |grep -i "Wake reason =" in Terminal and then you'll see something like this:

Sat Jul 10 08:49:33 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = OHC1
    Sat Jul 10 17:21:57 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = PWRB
    Sun Jul 11 08:34:20 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = EHC2
    Sun Jul 16 18:25:28 MacBookPro kernel[0] : Wake reason = OHC1

I'm having trouble getting the data above. I entered ''syslog |grep -i "Wake reason =" but nothing happens.

9. ukiyo-e macrumors newbie

Mine just started doing this today. It's about 4 months old and I haven't done anything to it that might have caused this; I'm using the machine just as I have from Day 1. It will only stay asleep if I close the lid, but if I leave it open, it sleeps for just a few seconds and them comes right back on. Any way for a non-techie type user to fix this?

10. Samelson03 thread starter macrumors 6502

I found out why my MacBook isn't sleeping properly. I took out my charger out of the side of my Mac, put my Mac to sleep via the menu bar and then it went to to sleep like it's supposed to (indicator light was pulsing too!). Then I plugged it back in, put my Mac to sleep and then it went back to not sleeping completely. I even tested it with my sisters charger and the same thing happened. So, does that mean the the inside where the charger goes it giving out?