Macbook suddenly refusing to mount external HDD, not seeing a partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zombiedictator, Dec 30, 2007.

1. zombiedictator macrumors member

So this is a weird one. I've got a 500GB Maxtor external HDD that is HFS+ that I put everything on. I plug it in today and for some odd reason, it isn't mounting. This drive was fine the other day, but maybe it died. So the first thing I do is turn on my old Windows XP machine with MacDrive installed and plug it in. The WinPC reads it just fine, sees all the data, etc. So I plug it back into my Macbook. It lights up and starts turning so I know its active and not in sleep mode. Still nothing. Plug it into the other USB port. Nothing. I plug in a USB mouse and verify that the port is working.

So now the drive is making a bunch of noise plugged into the Macbook. Disk utility sees the drive, but has no partitions on it. All options are grayed out except format, basically, so I can't repair, verify, etc.

So I'm stuck with a drive I know is good and my Macbook (Leopard) won't see the partition my Windows PC with MacDrive saw just fine 5 minutes ago. Any ideas?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Is it a one-touch? If so, there are a bunch of Maxtor posts on this page...I c/ped a few.

Did you change any software settings on the Maxtor, by any chance?

3. zombiedictator thread starter macrumors member

It's this ugly thing, actually:

http://www.nextag.com/Maxtor-Personal-500GB-Hard-503927289/prices-html

So no, it is not a one-touch. As for software settings, nope, haven't touched a thing. The only thing I can think of I did is install some crappy zip file reader that I removed.

Keep in mind this thing was working great like, a day or 2 ago, so this isn't a systemic problem I've always had.