MacBook suddenly shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by micqo, Jul 24, 2015.

1. micqo macrumors member

My rMB 12" suddenly shut down without any warning. What this could caused??

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

3. micqo thread starter macrumors member

My battery was 70%. Hmm…maybe Mac was a little bit warm… So this is not dangerous? You think its not hardware failure? I am little worried...

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Need to get very hot before it will shut down, CPU will as a rule throttle down first. I would just restart and try to replicate what you were doing. Like as not is will just be one off instance, if it repeats call Apple.

You can also run Apple hardware test, I would just tend to use the computer and see what happens, I have had Mac`s shutdown, however very infrequently.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Q-6

5. micqo thread starter macrumors member

Well, Mac wasn't hot. Warm yes. I only used Safari and listening some music via Apple Music when Mac suddenly turn off. I forgot to tell that earlier F3 key, and some trackpad moves suddenly stops - reboot solved the issue. Hardware test was ok!

Would it be just at software (Yosemite) bug?

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Very likely, none of my Mac`s rebooted or shutdown prior to 10.10 and 10.11 is very much a maintenance release. Use the MacBook and don't worry if it persists speak with Apple as they have further diagnostic software.

Q-6

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My only advice is to log the issues in some sort of document and if occurs again, call apple.

8. Significant1 macrumors 6502

filter for shutdown in the console app and check what cause is listed. There are some Cause code listed in this table:
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/CjSjl.jpg
    If you have another, try a google

9. doobry macrumors regular

had you touched the keyboard at all for a while before then? Check the energy saver options you have for when it automatically sleeps when on battery.. It will still suspend even if you are listening to music/watching a film/doing a webex.. (the last two I had it happen with)

10. Cerano macrumors 6502

Could be hardware issue like my case... Random crashes, restarts and freezes. Read my thread

11. micqo thread starter macrumors member

Thank for the replies. I was able to return Mac back to reseller so next I just have to order a new MacBook :)