Macbook suddenly started lasting half the time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nalbagli, Jul 15, 2015.

1. nalbagli macrumors 6502

My Macbook battery has been amazing on the notebook, with my usual use and the screen brightness set to 50%, normally I would get around 9 hours consistently, also once I charged it to 100% the time estimate with only Safari open would show me around 10 hours. But since my las two charges battery under the same usage conditions have lasted like 5 hours, and on a 100% the time estimate on OS X shows me around 5;30 hours which makes no sense at all because I have made no changes or downloaded anything new.

Any ideas?

2. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

I can really make no sense at all on why this may be happening, battery was great until yesterday now it's draining really really fast with same type of usage, could letting it discharge to 0% help?

3. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

In the activity monitor, the is a display for application energy use. Perhaps you can check if something is suddenly using a lot of energy.

4. mkelly macrumors regular

No, you shouldn't need to do a deep discharge on a Lithium Ion battery. In fact, they generally don't like that sort of thing:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_increase_the_runtime_of_your_wireless_device

Check the Energy column in Activity Monitor. Also do a full shutdown to power-off state and then turn it back on.

You may also want to try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller). Instructions are linked below, under the heading "On Macbook notebooks with non-removable batteries".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Finally, before anyone else suggests it: don't try to repair permissions. It's generally voodoo and won't help with your power problems.

5. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll try resetting the SMC!!

6. cmjars macrumors 6502

Have checked to see what % of battery life is left? You can use apps like Battery Health or CoconutBattery to check. Your problem happened to me and my battery life % dropped from 98% to 79% in a matter of a few days. Apple is replacing my rMB.

7. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

my battery is at 96%, I check it with Coconut Battery but it hasn't been very reliable, a few weeks ago it showed me 93%

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Then it`s related to the power draw, an application must be running the CPU harder.

Q-6

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

10. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, truth is I can make no sense of my battery lasting so little, I have been using it on 50% Brightness, with only safari and messages open, and after 3 hours of use my battery is 44%. The only app consuming energy is safari but a few days ago my computer lasted 9-10 hours with this type of use

Attached Files:

11. wowee macrumors member

I hear ya. Ive only ever gotten 5 hours max with similar use and screen turned down. I am waiting for the macbook to be more readily available before i take it in and ask for a replacement.

12. SidBoggle macrumors regular

The only times I have found my MB battery badly impacted is when there is a buggy runaway process sucking up CPU. Examples of this are coreduetd and securityd.

Take a look in activity monitor at the CPU tab. Is the IDLE at the bottom of the window constantly at a very low value? Sort the %CPU column in descending order and see what the top processes are.

Attached Files:

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

You've made no changes to settings. No updates of software. You're not on the beta. Just a sudden drop?

Rarely do these issues come from out of the blue.

14. nalbagli thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what's strange, I've changed no settings or anything in my Macbook.

15. smacx macrumors newbie

..sounds like what would happen after installing flash..

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you running you Chrome? That's been known to be a resource hog, that could also impact battery life.