Macbook suddenly won't connect wirelessly.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Durden808, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Durden808 macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying that I know very little about how computers/networks, etc work.

I've had my macbook for a couple years (I don't even know how to find out what year it was made, I'd guess 2008). It just suddenly stopped allowing me to connect to the internet wirelessly at my house. I brought it to my college campus, where I've been able to connect all semester, and I cannot connect there either. I'm receiving wireless signals in both places with my phone.

When I go to system pref - network....and highlight airport, it says it's not connected even though i have all my bars at the top right of the screen.

It says "Airport does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the Internet."

I should point out that my brother's macbook pro still works fine wirelessly in our house.

Please help. Thank you.

2. Durden808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please somebody help if you can. I can't afford to pay apple to tell me what simple problem I'm having.

3. Durden808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there really no one on this forum who knows the answer....or even THINKS they know the answer to this problem? I don't know what to do, at all.

4. teejay09876 macrumors newbie

teejay09876

i find with our wireless that i have to shut my mac down and restart our wireless and then start my mac up again.. hope that helps

5. Durden808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you teejay I just tried that but had no luck. I don't think the problem should be related to my router at all because I am no longer able to connect with my macbook ANYWHERE that there is a wireless signal, not just at my house. This is annoying.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My 13" 2009 MacBook Pro sometimes has a similar issue. Well, by sometimes I mean every second day... It can be annoying when you've just got comfy on the couch and then you find out the wireless is ****** :mad:

Anyway, what works with me is unplugging your router, plugging it back in, then restart your computer while your waiting for the router to boot up. Never failed me so far.

Oh BTW, to find out how old your Mac is download this app: http://www.mactracker.ca/

Its 100% free and you can use it to tell you what model and type your Mac is, as well as the year it was made. Likewise, you can use coconut-battery if you already have that installed.