MacBook suffice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick9871, Aug 1, 2007.

1. nick9871 macrumors member

My girlfriend needs a laptop. She will be using the laptop for school work (word and powerpoint) as well as for photography work.

The laptop will basically travel with her to jobs and she will use it to display photos to customers on site and maybe make a few quick changes in aperture. Some CS3 work may be done on it at school but the bulk of any editing will be done at home on our MacPro.

I thought she would be fine with the MB 2.0. But then I just realized that the MB 2.0 doesnt have a superdrive. I think it would be important as customers might want CD's or DVD's of their photos on the spot (sort of like pre-editing negatives...)

Would it be more economical to buy the MB 2.16? Or should we get a MBP for the larger screen size?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

For most people, the extra money for a MBP is not necessary. If it is important to burn DVD's, I'm sure an external DVD burner would work and can be pretty affordable. Unless she needs to burn DVD's on the go, then a MBP would work better. I like the bigger screen of the MBP, but the best thing to do is to go try both at an Apple store...

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

The base models of the 2.0 as well as the 2.16 lack the superdrive; the mid-range and high-end (white and black, respectively) both come with the superdrive. The 2.0 comes with a 6x Dual Layer DVD+-R/W, and the 2.16 comes with the 8x.

I'd say go for the mid or high end 2.0 refurb; either should be more than sufficient.

4. nick9871 thread starter macrumors member

Is the "superdrive" the same drive in the MacPro. Because that drive isn't so super to me, not all that fast... But I think the base 2.0 makes the most sense since we have the MacPro at home.

5. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I have no idea what jackiecane is talking about.
    For the current models of Macbook:
    The low end 2.0 Macbook is the only model without a superdrive. Both white and Black 2.16 Ghz models have identical superdrives. They are 8x.
    On a further note, the only other difference besides color between the 2.16 Ghz white and black models is that the black model comes standard with 40 more GB of hardrive space. (Though you can always upgrade the white model for less money)

If it were me I would purchase the 2.16 Ghz white model. I feel the faster processor, superdrive, and 50% more hardrive space is probably worth the $200. However if you dont have the money, or dont need the extra specs, the 2.0 base model would be fine and you can always purchase an external DVD burner if you so desire/need.

6. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

7. neven macrumors 6502a

Mid-range MacBook, always the best value. SuperDrive is the same thing in all Macs that currently have it.

8. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Anyone think Apple should have done away with combo drives by now? I mean come on, a super drive is not that much more expensive. They do pride themselves on simplistic, streamlined product lineups, but a superdrive to distinguish is not the best choice (mac minis and macbooks, yeah I know there are a few more factors) IMO. I guess when blu-ray/hd dvd becomes standard, but whatever. Sorry, had to let that out. :)

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I totally agree. A DVD-RW drive can be had at Best Buy for $40; it should be standard by now on a $1100 laptop.

And to the OP, if she's going to carrying it around a lot go for the mid-range MacBook, or if she loves brushed aluminum then a 12" PB.

10. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I love my 12" powerbook, but in all actuality, I think the mid macbook will be the best performance/value of them all for what you want.

But yeah, my 12" PB is ohh, sooo sexxxayyy. :p (is that smilie close enough to licking its lips?)

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What are you talking about? The macbooks have three variants:

1. 2.0 GHZ, no Superdrive
    2. 2.16 GHZ, Superdrive
    3. 2.16 GHZ, Superdrive, and black (with a little bigger HD).

OP, while the macbook is good enough for your gf's needs, I have to vote for the mbp. It looks more professional and is a better investment for long-term usage.

12. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

when i was referring to the 2.0, i was talking about the revB vs. revC; that why i mentioned refurbs at the end, since the OP was talking about saving money.

here is what i mean, with a bit more specificity and clarity:

revB 1.83 base white: combo
    revB 2.0 mid white: super
    revB 2.0 high black: super

revC 2.0 base white: combo
    revC 2.16 mid white: super
    revC 2.16high black: super

if the OP wants the superdrive, wants what is most 'economical', and doesn't need to extra "umph" he could opt for a refurb revB 2.0 mid was my suggestion.

thats all :)

13. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a