MacBook super slow suddenly! Need help!

Pdylan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I turned my MacBook pro off and once turned on the screen became black with lines across the screen. So I turned it off and back on using the button and now it runs super slow and glitchy, making it impossible to watch videos and use the Internet and applications. Restarting it dosent help fix it and return it to its original speed. If anyone has tips and a solution please help!

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
What model MBP do you have. It might be the hard drive, if you have a hard drive.

What version of OS X is installed?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I turned my MacBook pro off and once turned on the screen became black with lines across the screen. So I turned it off and back on using the button and now it runs super slow and glitchy, making it impossible to watch videos and use the Internet and applications. Restarting it dosent help fix it and return it to its original speed. If anyone has tips and a solution please help!
Black with lines across the screen?

If it's a 2008 15", 2010 15"/17", 2011 15"/17" or mid-2012/early-2013 rMBP with a discrete GPU, a GPU failure has hit your Mac.

Pdylan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
It's just a stock MacBook pro but it is a 2011 version. The black lines have disappeared but return occasionally when I turn it on and disappear when I restart it

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's just a stock MacBook pro but it is a 2011 version. The black lines have disappeared but return occasionally when I turn it on and disappear when I restart it
This is what you do:
  • Backup to TimeMachine
  • Repair disk permissions
  • Reset pram
  • Swap the hdd for a ssd

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
If you can demonstrate the problem at the Genius Bar, ie, graphic cars issue, then they will repair it. They've extended the warranty of those MacBooks to fix the graphic card failures.