Macbook Superdrive Apple Store question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dansmith3003, May 21, 2009.

1. dansmith3003 macrumors newbie

Hi, my black macbook's superdrive has just died (only been 7 months since I bought it). I'm taking it to the Cabot Circus Apple Store Bristol, UK tomorrow to get the Genius bar guys to look at it. I know it will probably have to be replaced as these things don't just come back to life. I was just wondering if anybody has had an experience of getting their superdrives replaced at an Apple store? If so do they have a stock of superdrives in the store that they can swap out or does the macbook have to be sent away/do they have to order one in?

any help on this would be appreciated

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If they don't have the part in stock at the store, they need to order it or send your computer out; if they order it, it usually arrives next day and then you can either bring your computer back or they can hold your computer; either way the turn around is about 2 days depending on repair queue; this means if there are a lot of people waiting for repairs, your repair will be done later.

If you have your computer sent out, there is less likely to be such a queue, but the turn around time is 3-4 days.

Basically you can choose what you want, but you can't really tell which way is faster unless the Genius can explicitly tell you they can do the repair immediately.