MacBook Superdrive disassembly help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iPhone Chicago, Oct 30, 2007.

1. iPhone Chicago macrumors newbie

I was watching a DVD from Blockbuster on my MacBook using the SuperDrive and the magnetic sticker that Blockbuster puts on top of all their DVDs came off and is stuck inside the SuperDrive...the drive still works, but you can hear the sticker 'clicking' when the drive is in operation and rotating. How realistic is it for me to open up the drive itself and remove the sticker without any major damages? I have found instructions on the web for disassembling the MacBook itself to get to the drive, but do any instructions exist for opening up the actual SuperDrive to have access to the components?? Any help or suggestions would be great.

2. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Umm... If it is a magnetic sticker and it is sticking by magnitism. I would possibly suggest (Making no clames this could make the problem worse or worse cause the utter descruction of the world as we know it, or somewhere in the middle) but If you are able to put say a blank CD in the system and use a magnet and reverse the plarity to make it jump off the drive and stick to the CD it may possible get it out without taking apart the drive... But I would suggest that you bring it to a service rep and pay a hundres bucks or so for them to clean it out. Thatway if they mess up and break the drive they have to buy and replace it not you...

3. iPhone Chicago thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, I guess by 'magnetic sticker' i meant that one side is sticky (the side that is stuck to somewhere inside the SuperDrive) and the other side is used by Blockbuster for some type of security/theft tracking. Reversing polarity would probably work in the situation you described, but sadly stickiness has no polarity...so you think take it to a service center? :(

4. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I would. Taking apart the laptop is hard enough. Then taking apart the drive is extra tricky and the hard part is putting it back together again. It is possible but having a service company do it will probably be easier, quicker and safer. Being A. they should have the right tools. B. The company usually has insurance for cases of faulty workmanship, so if they do messup the drive further it is on their plate to fix it for free or give you a replacement vs. you being SOL.

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

And then I'd send Blockbuster the bill! Or have my attorney send it! :D