MacBook SuperDrive is bust, which DVD Drive to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Karvel, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

The "groove" of the SuperDrive in my MacBook is broken/wonky, so that you can't actually insert anything into it. I did try and see what a Genius Bar person would think but he said that it wasn't covered under the warranty and that the minimum I would have to pay is £45 labour for them to "re-arrange the dvd-drive groove" or something but he said that he didn't know whether that would work, and so he said it would cost £75 to replace the actual drive (plus £45 labour). So basically £120 to replace it. Now I presume that an actual Apple SuperDrive is the only option for "inside" - i.e. I can't just buy an off-the-shelf notebook DVD-Drive and slot it in. So externally, can anyone recommend any DVD Drives that are somewhat below £120? A simple google search seems to show that the cheap ones are all big bulky ones that are meant to fit inside a PC tower? haha

2. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

I understand for PCs there is the option of buying a USB-IDE cable, to connect to a supposed "internal" DVD Drive and use it externally. Would this option 'work' in theory for a Mac?