MacBook SuperDrive Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mastaj, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mastaj macrumors newbie

I have a 2.2 Ghz C2D white MacBook with 4GB RAM, that I've had for about 1 month now. It's been performing wonderfully, however any CDs I've tried burning (all audio CD so far) have turned out horribly. Each time, the disc has been burned and the first 10 or so tracks are fine. But the 10th track then has horrible skipping, and you cannot play any of the tracks after 10 in a player. I have only burned using iTunes, and I have all the latest updates. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
    Also, I've noticed it requires quite a lot of pressure to get a CD into the drive, and the drive will not pull in the CD on it's own (though I hear noises) unless pushed in flush with the dust curtain in front of the slot. This is different from my previous iBook. Have they just changed drives, or is this unusual?
    Thanks

2. eman macrumors 6502a

That seems unusual to me. Normally if I push a CD in about 80% of the way, the drive will grab the CD and pull it in the rest of the way. I haven't used one of the newer macbooks, there could be a difference, but I don't think so.

3. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

I would definitely get that drive checked out. As mentioned in the above post, the drive normally grabs the CD and pulls it in after about 80% insertion.

Are you still covered in warranty? If so, I would take it to an Apple store ASAP.

4. yumandfun macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with my SuperDrive. Although the primary problem was burning CD's from iTunes, it also included random DVD no-reads and importing CD's into iTunes. Took it to the Apple Store (covered under warranty) and they replaced it without any hassles and before I was even finished walking around the mall, so I'm sure with your MacBook being a month old they'll take care of you.

5. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

EXACT same problem with skips on burned audio CD's after track 10. Anyone know a fix besides a drive replacement?
    Sounds like a driver issue to me.

6. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

yea i have the same problem...
    what i do right now is just burn the CD-r at a lower speed like 8x

a little disappoitning that i can't get the full 24x

7. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK