MacBook superdrive noises

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morrisman1, Nov 28, 2008.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

what sort of noises does your superdrive make when you put a disc in?

on my old macbook it made a whirr then a few clicks.
    on my new macbook its a whirr with a few mechanical noises but not clicks or grinds, its quite a bit quieter.

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It's a scary noise that's for sure. My Macbook when the superdrive turns on or when it sucks in a disc sounds like it's choking to death and needs to cough up a fur ball or something. First time my machine came out of sleep mode and the superdrive made that grinding sound I thought my machine might have been broken.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Mine is very quiet when i boot up the laptop, or RIGHT when i insert a cd/dvd... however, once the disc is all the way in there, it makes like 3 LOUD clicks and my heart sinks everytime, because it sounds like the laptop is braking in half :eek:

4. MarkMissoula macrumors member

I was burning some CD's to Itunes and when i put in an older CD, ACDC-If you want blood, it was vibrating the whole macbook:eek: But so far thats the only disc that has reacted that way.

5. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

good to know its a 'design feature' lol.

i thought i had a bad one first up. some slot load drives are silent. that clicking noise is terrible aint it, you can feel it through the laptop.

one great thing about the superdrives apple uses is that they dont vibrate like every cheapo pc laptop drive out there. the worst ive seen is an acer 15" (unsure of anything other than those specs) and when the cd spun up you thought the poor thing was having a seizure! it was doing it with every disc. i guess they are the sort of manufacturer that will suck people in with specifications and big harddrives then ignore any form of intelligent design for the machine overall.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

I've owned three new macbooks in as many weeks. Yeah the Ma*****ita makes a noise. So does the sony drive. Different noises. I'm used to the Ma*****ita noise and glad I settled on this last Macbook.

Maybe the noise has to do wiht the new video card? Or the SATA connection rather than the ATA connection? I don't know.

7. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

A cable or a graphic card can't do noise like that. It come from the disk drive. Don't panic, if your drive does make some sounds, it's all normal. Personally, I like the sound of mine :p Don't know why.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

same here, first time i heard it, it was pretty unusual.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

10. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

Its some strange little noises, but I'm hearing a Beep every few seconds when i insert a disk and am transferring data from cd to disk or vice versa