MacBook SUPPPER NOOB Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Makaveli7, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Makaveli7 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Mac world, so please don't mind me. My question is how in the world can I install photoshop? I have the photoshop CS3 on my windows machine, and planning on burning the setup file with the files within it, then putting it on my mac? One other question as well, what word processing program can I get, or download lol:p. Yesterday I bought this labtop, let me tell you how much I love it already. I'm in college so I would need a word processing program like Microsoft Word. What Mac has so far is an okay word processing application, but it feels more like Notepad on the windows. Anyways, hope I can help some help with this, thank you in advance:)

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Windows applications generally work in Windows, so unless you install Windows on your computer, then you would have to get a Mac version of CS3 to use in Mac OS X.

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

4. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are the frigen best, response was so fast, it's unbelievable! Openoffice I'll get my hands on it right now. What is the file extension I need to look for when I download files for the mac? Like I'll get the Photoshop CS3 for the mac "Legally" of course LOL:p. The file extension may help me very much.

Your guys rock!

5. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

There's iWork that comes with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. It's about $79.
    There's also Microsoft Office for Mac and it comes with Word, Excel, Messenger, and Powerpoint (possibly more). It's more. About $130ish - I'm not sure.

I really like iWork '08. Most of my friends use Word for Mac and they like it. I prefer to keep anything Microsoft away - far away - from my Macs.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Except for the 360, which is the best gaming console on the market ;)

7. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, so true, I have the same console with Halo 3!:)

8. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I think NeoOffice would be a better choice, no need for that x11 and as for native its only in alpha.

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

you can probably find a good deal for all the software you're interested in through your university

10. Makaveli7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to sure about that, I believe they don't give discounts from what I remember:confused:. What I know so far is they give discounts for public transportation LOL:p. Well, I just figured out that the file extension I need to look for is .DMG? So, lets say I get a file from my PC, convert the files within it to .DMG, will it install on my MacBook? Before I even burn that sucker, let me scan it with my norton hehe, damn windows:p

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

a windows version of CS3 will NOT work on mac. You need to find the mac versions. Just because you find a way to convert the files doesn't mean you can install them. You need the actuall OSX platform versions.

I'm sure your university gives some sort of discounts. Find their university computer/tech center and ask around. They probably offer decent discounts. I can get iwork for only 39 through my school instead of 79. iwork is a great program for text and everything else. YOu can actual convert/save files into .ms (ms word) compatible files and keynote presentations into powerpoint files too if need be. I highly recommend it.

If you want free though.. like already mentioned open office or neo office are good alternatives and easy to find online.

As far as CS3 though you are out of luck with the current copy you have. You need to find a mac version... through your school they might have student packages for that stuff too.

If you don't want to do that, you could always get bootcamp and install a copy of windows onto your mac for when you NEED to use those.

12. shwc macrumors regular

Windows programs are dot exe. They can not be run under mac os X (except under parallels etc).

Mac programs are dot app (not .dmg). NOTE: to see the extension you will have "get info" on the file or set the finder preferences to show extensions.

Dot dmg is a disk image, a "virtual cd" used to disseminate many mac programs. You drag the application from the virtual cd to your applications file.

See http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Depending on what kind of license you have for CS3, you may also be able to get a "crossgrade" from Adobe where you surrender your Windows license code for a Mac one for a small fee.... it might be worth it to contact them.

14. shwc macrumors regular

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

ooh, running an office suite in java, against an alpha that hardly crashes at all :rolleyes:

i prefer oOo over NeoOffice - i switched from NoO to oOo, when the alpha came out, and had no issue. until i moved to iWork 08, because it's just sexual. ;)

WriteRoom is AWESOME.

16. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

If you contact Adobe, I think they off cross platform sidegrades. Swap your PC version for the Mac version for a small fee.

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Cant he just run fusion or parallels and run the programs out of the windows there? I am sure it will slow down his computer, but that is an option right?

18. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Photoshop on Parallels/fusion would probably be unbearable. Boot camp may be an option though if you can't get the OSX version