MacBook survived liquid damage (mostly)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zipper77, Jun 21, 2011.

1. zipper77 macrumors newbie

I'm able to turn on late 2008 Unibody Macbook that suffered intense liquid damage from a spilled beer a year after the incident. Miraculous, I know, but I cleaned all the boards and components with denatured alcohol and didn't realize until now the reason I couldn't get it on was a fried battery (it works through the battery adapter). If I replace the battery and the display data (LVDS) cable which was badly corroded (the display doesn't turn on but I can get it working through an external display) what are my chances that this thing will last more than a couple weeks?

2. Skizoboy macrumors newbie

The fact that your computer works through a power adapter doesn't necessarily mean it will with a new battery.
    It's likely but If I were you I would check with a friend's battery (With the promise to replace it if something went wrong) before buying a new one.

You could also try and use it as a desktop in "shell mode" for a while to make sure it's reliable and then only, go for a new battery.

Anyway, the simple fact that it powers on is kind of a miracle and you could still use it permanently as a desktop. :)