MacBook survived liquid damage (mostly)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zipper77, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. zipper77 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #1
    I'm able to turn on late 2008 Unibody Macbook that suffered intense liquid damage from a spilled beer a year after the incident. Miraculous, I know, but I cleaned all the boards and components with denatured alcohol and didn't realize until now the reason I couldn't get it on was a fried battery (it works through the battery adapter). If I replace the battery and the display data (LVDS) cable which was badly corroded (the display doesn't turn on but I can get it working through an external display) what are my chances that this thing will last more than a couple weeks?
     
  2. Skizoboy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    #2
    The fact that your computer works through a power adapter doesn't necessarily mean it will with a new battery.
    It's likely but If I were you I would check with a friend's battery (With the promise to replace it if something went wrong) before buying a new one.

    You could also try and use it as a desktop in "shell mode" for a while to make sure it's reliable and then only, go for a new battery.

    Anyway, the simple fact that it powers on is kind of a miracle and you could still use it permanently as a desktop. :)
     

Share This Page