Macbook sustainability against scratches?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gan6660, May 5, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

How well does the macbook hold up against scratches? I keep going back and for between a hard case or just a slip on case. I love the look and feel of the "naked" macbook. Do yours get scratched from normal use on the couch and bed? For travel and bringing it places I will get a memory foam case. I am leaning towards no hard case.

2. o2xygen macrumors regular

I use mine "naked" and its still scratch free, there might be a few little ones on the bottom but its fine. I take it to uni 4-5 days in the week, sometimes work, and I use it everywhere in my home from the toilet to watching a dvd in bed. I use only a neoprone sleeve to carry it to uni, no bags or anything.

3. Apple all life macrumors 6502

My bottom is scratched because I use it in the kitchen a lot. Having salt on the bottom then moving the macbook gets it scratched, so grains can stratch the bottom when moving it. That is the only scratches I have on the bottom.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I like the cold feeling of the aluminum so I use mine naked. As long as you're careful and don't bump it around u should be fine.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Pack mine up in a softcase and my backpack every day to take it to work, and i've traveled quite a bit as well, and so far just one scratch on the bottom. It seems to be doing well, but then again, I AM extra careful with it lol

6. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

My macbook has a couple of scratches on the bottom from being placed on things, and a single, very small scratch where I accidently whacked it good and proper with on of the machine heads on my bass on the top...

The on on the top is irritating, but an equivelent blow onto most things would have broken them (the bass fell and clipped the macbook whilst I was asleep.

7. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I've noticed that most light scratches wipe away with normal cleaning. I have one set scratch on the bottom of my machine.

8. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I think the feet do a pretty good job of keeping it off the surface. Though any debris will nullify that advantage. My old powerbook's battery didn't seat properly after the recall so it would drag across any surface and eventually had a bare aluminum corner. The uni's seem to be pretty resistant as far as I can tell.

9. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

Absolutely no scratches on my three-week old Air, which I'm sure would use the same aluminium?

It's used without protection on all sorts of strange surfaces.

Barbie

10. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

ive had my unibody 7 months now and i have one small scratch on the bottom. i wear a metal watch and my macbook is naked. i dont baby it but i certainly dont throw it around either.

its standing up to scratches very well, still looks brilliant and could almost be passed off for a brand new one if it wasnt for the shiny bit on the space bar where i touch it, i dont use my left thumb for the spacebar at all so its worn well on the right hand side

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm sure my MBP is going to get some scratches on the bottom, and I really don't care about them. The top of the case where its visible is what I really care.

I'm not all that mobile with my laptop, it sits on my desk 80% of the time, so the risk of scratches is minimal with my usage patterns but I do baby it. I've seen too many threads on the intarweb about dented MBPs, never mind scratches.

12. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I've had my unibody macbook for 6 months now naked, it's been traveling around the world, and with just a neoprene sleeve pad to carry it around,
    i only have a few small scratches on the black rubber feets, no scratches on the body at all, and i don't baby it, i'm known to not give much care about my objects. :)