MacBook Temperature in Clamshell Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjer, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Benjer macrumors member

Hello,
    I have a MacBook Core Duo (2.0 GHz), and I've just started using it in clamshell mode for most of the day at my new job. I've never had any fan or temperature problems, but it seems to be running hot in clamshell mode, even when doing very mundane tasks. Does having the lid closed block some of the airflow?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It does block some of the airflow yes. However, I wouldn't be frightened, since Apple supports the laptop running in clamshell mode anyway.

3. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

when the screen is down but the Mac's still on but connected to a monitor

5. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

Ok. Now that I know what you mean... my MacBook stays cool with the screen closed almost as though it's off. In fact that's one of my favorite things about the MB, that I can keep it on, carry it around with me and when I'm ready to continue what I was doing, just open the screen and go.

Also the battery doesn't just suddenly drop from 95% to 45% like on my previous PC laptops in standby mode. That tended to undermine the portability of the laptop, but not on the MacBook.

6. Benjer thread starter macrumors member

Clamshell mode is actually using a laptop while it's closed but connected to an external monitor. It is not the same as sleep mode.

Thanks all for your input!

7. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

Thanks for the clarification.

8. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have no idea how to activate clamshell mode!
    I have just bought and hooked up a Samsung external monitor to my MacBook, and I've used arrangement to move everything over to the monitor (menu bar, dock, various windows etc), but when ever I unplug my MacBook (to go out or whatever) everything is shifted in weird positions on my MacBook.
    When I close my MacBook, it just goes to sleep and my monitor goes black.
    Maybe there's a compatibility issue with the Samsung monitor?...

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You don't need nor should you configure any screen placement in sysprefs.

You need an external keyboard. Close the lid, let the mac go to sleep and hit the space button (or doubleclick with a mouse).

You can also just plug in the external monitor and wake it up.

10. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Hey thanks for the reply.
    I just tried closing the MacBook, unplugging the monitor and re-plugging it in, and the monitor didn't "wake" back up.
    I tried plugging my old iMac keyboard in (haven't bought a blu-tooth keyboard yet) closed the MacBook and pressed the space bar (and a load of other keys!) and still nothing on the monitor...

11. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Unplugging and replugging is not the way to go.

Plug external keyboard in. Plug the external monitor in. Close the lid. Make sure the laptop is awake. Press space on external keyboard. Does it wake?

If no, try a different monitor to see if it's the monitor that is being problematic. If it still doesn't work, you most likely have a faulty MacBook and you should schedule an appointment with a genius.

12. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

I tried this as well. Both the monitor and Keyboard were plugged in, I closed the MacBook and it went to sleep, monitor went black. The I pressed spacebar and stuff on the keyboard and the MacBook didn't wake and the monitor stayed black.

I guess I'll have to go take it to an Apple store ; [

Thanks for the help.

13. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

I thought I had just made a huge mistake, as I've just realised I've been trying without my MacBook being plugged into the mains. But I've just tried it all again with the MacBook plugged in and charging, and still not working. Oh well...

14. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Well through a happy "accident", I've found out how to get clamshell mode working!
    I closed my laptop to put it to sleep and turned off my monitor, and went out to uni or something. When I came back, I turned on my monitor, and then went to open my laptop to wake it but I was taking my bag off at the same time, and my finger sort of slipped when the lid was about a cm open and it fell back down. So it woke up and then went straight back off, but my monitor perked up and I saw my desktop!! I then opened my laptop and it stayed off, so I can still use my keyboard!
    Weird.
    Anyway, is there any point in me doing this? Like am I saving RAM or something by using just the monitor?

15. carts44 macrumors newbie

CPU @ 69 Degrees Centigrade

My macbook is pretty warm in clamshell mode. According to iStat pro my CPU is running at 69 degrees (156 F). I do hope that this is ok. Any thoughts anyone?

cheers and beers

Adam

16. Trinity macrumors regular

Trinity

Why don't you open the lid to improve cooling once the mb display is off?

17. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I was under the impression that you could ONLY use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse while using a MB/P in clamshell mode....?