Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
Hi I know this is something old, but is 90 degree C CPU temperature when running shockwave flash normal? Isn't holding something with this high temperature in hands or on laps crazy?

nelz886

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
New Jersey
If the machine has not shut down unexpectedly, then it is not overheating. Newer unibodies are designed to get extremely hot. My 2010MBP reached 216 degrees Fahrenheit while under significant load.

realchimera

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
If the machine has not shut down unexpectedly, then it is not overheating. Newer unibodies are designed to get extremely hot. My 2010MBP reached 216 degrees Fahrenheit while under significant load.

216 degrees Fahrenheit ..... what da .... If you use it on your laps you may get burnt. That's ridiculous. Since I didn't see any warning in the Macbook manual, if you burnt your finger, lap, other important part of your body, can you sue Apple?

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
The temperature you're reading is that of the CPU inside your MacBook. The outside is much cooler.

nelz886

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
New Jersey
The temperature you're reading is that of the CPU inside your MacBook. The outside is much cooler.

Indeed.

@realchimera
You shouldn't use the machine on your lap.
Apple Engineering said:
Using Your MacBook Pro
When you’re using your MacBook Pro or charging the battery, it's normal for the bottom of the case to get warm. For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn. The bottom of the MacBook Pro case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised slightly to allow airflow, which keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures. In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.