Macbook Temperatures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekiturtle, May 27, 2014.

1. tekiturtle macrumors newbie

Hi, I just recently purchased a late 2013 macbook 15" retina (base model) a couple weeks ago, and i noticed some temperature issues. I bought the app temperature gauge and it shows that my CPU's are running at around 45-50 degrees while having only google chrome open. When watching youtube videos it can get up to 65-70 degrees. And when i'm watching an episode of a TV show on a certain website the temperature of the CPU is at 85-90 on average and the fans spin at 3.4-3.8k RPM. I am wondering if this is normal or do I have an issue with my macbook?. When im playing a game like league of legends, the temperature only gets to around 65-70ish though i only tried it for around 10mins or so to see how high it gets.

Thanks

2. anarti macrumors regular

Chrome and flash is always heating up the CPU. My retina is running 45-50-60C during normal operations. If I export jpgs from RAW images it gets to about 100C which is perfectly normal.

Anytime, when you are just browsing net and see fans being very loud, check what you are browsing, it may be a flash website that heats it up.

This was the main reason why I swithced to Safari from chrome, had enough of hi temps while browsing.

Macbooks are well designed to work in such temps, and this is perfectly normal.

Because there is a lot of power squeezed in a small aluminium case, it will always be warmer than stadard Windows PC laptops.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try using Safari as mentioned, the temps will go up with certain tasks but I never noticed a spike in temps to the degree you're getting them

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If you start using Safari, as recommended, also install the 'ClickToFlash' extension.
    Flash will then only run on demand.

Barney

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Safari. Click-to-Flash. Done

I use Firefox as my backup browser and refuse to touch Chrome.

6. tekiturtle thread starter macrumors newbie

So i just did a test with a friend of mine. he has the late 2013 mbp retina 13". I asked him to watch the same video from the same site as me on safari, his hovers at around 50-60 degrees, and on mine It hovers at around 70ish or more. Then we did the same thing using google chrome, mine was at 90degrees and his spiked to that but eventually went down. bare in mind this having no other apps running. Is this because i have a bigger laptop compared to his and my macbook is perfectly fine and i am just being worried for nothing? Because I am really tempted to bring it back to apple and let them take a look at it.

When running youtube videos, it is no problem at all. It is around 50-60ish

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

yours being a 15" with a beefier processor will account for it running slightly hotter.
    There is nothing wrong with it.

Barney