Macbook Temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JSMencer, Jan 27, 2009.

1. JSMencer macrumors regular

What temperature is good for your macbook to run at. I'm usually always around 135-145 degrees. I have smc fan control, and i am running my fan at 3600rpm's please let me know what you think about the subject.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Let the SMC control it automatically. I don't really see a reason to mess with it.

3. JSMencer thread starter macrumors regular

do you think it could be cause of a 7500rpm drive that my laptop feels real hot

4. buddhaface macrumors member

135-145 Fahrenheit right?

5. JSMencer thread starter macrumors regular

6. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Is it set to Celsius in stock form? My temps read around 59* which I thought was really cool for fahrenheit

7. buddhaface macrumors member

That's got to be for Celsius. Unless you use your computer outside in the snow. ;)

8. JSMencer thread starter macrumors regular

9. om3ga785 macrumors member

I've set my RPM and kept the temperatures to around 102 F or so as long as im not running my VM.

smcFanControl is great. you can also set profiles to different speeds by just one click. (or two maybe, lol)

10. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I just dl SMC, it works awesome, cooled it down 10* in like a couple minutes.

11. Stachelsk macrumors regular

I modded mine a lot but my 2.4GHz is running...

~40C/104F or below on idle or really basic stuff
    ~Low 60s (C)/140s (F) on a very, very heavy load

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

7200 you mean? and no the hard drive speed makes less than 0.0001% difference.

13. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Ouch HOT!

My MB Alu 2.4 stock is running on average 75C. I looked in istat and the only thing running was iphoto, and that was running only at 1.9%. I brought it up to the apple store hoping to get a replacement or at least figure out what was going on. He said oh ummmm, I don't know what it should be running at. I don't pay attention to the numbers. It is normal for them to run a little warm. My first. MB ran around 45c on average. Too bad that one had 7 bad pixels. What should I do? It has got up to 80C in VMware. Most of the time the fan doesn't come on until 75C. Should I call applecare?

Attached Files:

14. Stachelsk macrumors regular

The temperature that SpeedFan gives isn't that accurate. It's actually really high for some reason. Not sure why. You're probably closer to somewhere around 70c on load.

If the guy said he didn't know what the temperatures at that it should be running at, he's lying to you or he's a really bad employee. I don't know if they'll do much for you though unless your MacBook does something physically/visibly wrong. Go there and complain that your old one was substantially cooler, I guess.

15. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

85c

The temps I posted were from Istat. I have tried both programs and they both say right now I'm at 85C. Not good. I am worried about the long term effects. What do you think?

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Go back and this time ask to speak to somebody that won't just give you a BRUSH-OFF answer. The guy's an idiot... he doesn't pay attention what temps they run at?!?! Then why the heck does he work in a computer store?! Ask to speak to the manger if they won't at least LOOK at it..
    Idle temps should not be more than 50C, unless you're just blocking the air vents in the back (like keep it on your bed all the time where air can't circulate well).
    Go back to the store ASAP and get it looked at.

17. Stachelsk macrumors regular

Like I said, iStat/smcFanControl/whatever is not very accurate. You're not running as hot as 85c, but if you're running anywhere near that point there's no doubt that electromigration is occurring. If you keep letting that happen, your CPU is going to have an early death... maybe a couple years. My guess is that if you run it that hot, it won't make a difference because you'll probably end up getting a new laptop before the CPU dies, but I'd still get something done about it.

Edit: I've measured with tools, and via CoreTemp in Windows. CoolBook's temperature is accurate. It's also intuitively obvious that iStat's temperature is off because the CPU is only 1c hotter than the sides of the heatsink. That can't be right.
    CoolBook: 42c
    iStat Nano: 54c

18. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I have it on my bed right now and my temp is 45* C. It's been running after waking from sleep for about half an hour now with firefox running and adium. Not too bad at all.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Select Show "All Processes" instead of "My Processes" and see if some nasty print job or other background process is taking a lot of CPU %.

20. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

How do you do that, I can't find an auto setting...
    Thanks
    hacksaw

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Automatic means let the system management controller (SMC) manage the fans the way it was intended to.

22. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

23. tdevers macrumors regular

I've been using SMCfanControl for quite some time. Under heavy load my temps spike up to 90C. Under normal conditions it averages from 60-65. Is this normal?