macbook temps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stealthsniper96, Jul 8, 2008.

1. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

Hey guys. I think my macbook is running a bit hotter than it should be. So I did some tests and recorded the temps. The first one I have safari, mail, ichat, and itunes running. Let that sit like that for 10 minutes and got the temps. The second one everything was closed and let that sit for about 15 minutes and got the temps.

First test temps-

[​IMG]

Second test temps-

[​IMG]

*notes- The fans were running at 2500 rpm and it was on my make-shift stand. The "stand" is just a 2 inch 3 ring binder with a big hole cut in it to allow air flow.

Tell me what you think about the temps.

2. stangdude22 macrumors member

Whats the ambient temp? Is there anything right behind the screen, were it vents?

Seems kinda high

3. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

Whats ambient temps? The only thing behind the screen is part of the stand it sits on. Other than that theres about a foot of open before the wall. there are speakers sitting next to it.

4. Aztec macrumors regular

5. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

Good question. It is a little above average but It's not uncomfortable or making me sweat or anything.

6. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

my macbook is at 41 degrees C at the moment running Camino, iTunes and Pages so your Macbook is definitely running hot. Mine only does that when running games. Do you have anything that taxes the cpu running in the background?

7. stealthsniper96 thread starter macrumors regular

Not that I know of.

8. DARKJ3DI macrumors regular

DARKJ3DI

well i occasionally have a kernel_task that will start up in the background that will hog all system resources for about 5 seconds then go away. This might be happening on your macbook?

9. wxboss67 macrumors newbie

Ambient temp means a lot when considering your MB's temp.

These are my stats with an ambient temp of 74 F & 60% humidity (don't forget about humidity :))

I'm running FF3 with iTunes:

Attached Files:

10. Zadiek macrumors member

Actually I believe those temps are perfectly fine. When I run the same apps I am getting around 55 degrees, and my computer is in a cold room. Jedi, maybe your temps are lower due to you having a newer, improved processor.

11. Zadiek macrumors member

Forgot to mention... if you don't have it already, get smc fan control to monitor your temps and use the manual fan speed control to help cool your mac as needed.:)