Macbook theft nightmare / Time machine restore issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chen23, Aug 25, 2014.

1. chen23 macrumors member

Had a bit of a tragedy last week with my MacBook Pro and assorted hard drives (amongst many other things) being stolen whilst on holiday in paris. I had my iTunes and iPhoto library on one of the external hard drives which was stolen; many years of precious photographs and music. Luckily I had backed up both the macbook and external Hardrive via time machine not long before I left. My question is when I restore my MacBook Pro from the TM back up (initially onto a spare MacBook Air until I buy a new pro) how do I also restore the previously attached external iTunes / iPhoto Hardrive backup?

Is it as simple as attaching a new empty HD to the air and when I restore from the TM backup it will treat the attached HD as if it was the previously attached iTunes / iPhoto HD (even if it's got a different 'name') and place the relevant files on it?

Probably not explained myself that well but I hope you get the gist of my query; any help very gratefully recieved, want to get this whole incident behind me now......

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Delete/re- password EVERY online/login passwords and even usernames. Do that immediately!

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This is one thing I yet to find a satisfactory solution. Not only on how to restore entire drive to the new drive, but how to force Time Machine to continue backing up the new drive to the existing backup, not creating a new one.
    Will keep an eye on this topic and hopefully you and I can have a perfect solution in the end.

4. chen23 thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick bump, I need to access the pictures soon so any advice gratefully recieved!