Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanfojtasek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
I have a mid 2009 macbook, 2.13 Intel core 2 duo, running 10.7.4. When I click on about this mac everything looks right, but when I double click on the "version 10.7.4" to reveal the serial number, it does not match the serial number listed on the macbook itself beneath the battery. And then when I click on "more info..." it says "Mac Mini" late 2009, and once again lists the serial number that does not match the one located beneath the battery. The two serial numbers are off by just one digit, the last one.

When I enter the serial number about this mac gives me into http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com, it directs me to a late 2009 mac mini. When I enter the correct one, located beneath the battery, it directs me to a mid 2009 macbook.

I did recently have the logic board replaced by apple about a month ago. My applecare warranty ends in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if this is something I need to go to apple about. any theories on why the "about this mac" would give me a wrong serial number, and why it thinks it's a Mac Mini?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I have a mid 2009 macbook, 2.13 Intel core 2 duo, running 10.7.4. When I click on about this mac everything looks right, but when I double click on the "version 10.7.4" to reveal the serial number, it does not match the serial number listed on the macbook itself beneath the battery. And then when I click on "more info..." it says "Mac Mini" late 2009, and once again lists the serial number that does not match the one located beneath the battery. The two serial numbers are off by just one digit, the last one.

When I enter the serial number about this mac gives me into http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com, it directs me to a late 2009 mac mini. When I enter the correct one, located beneath the battery, it directs me to a mid 2009 macbook.

I did recently have the logic board replaced by apple about a month ago. My applecare warranty ends in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if this is something I need to go to apple about. any theories on why the "about this mac" would give me a wrong serial number, and why it thinks it's a Mac Mini?

It sounds like you got a logic board out of a Mac Mini.

I don't think it will cause any problems, but I'd still take it back to Apple and have them take a look.
Did you go to an Apple store or an authorized repair center?

bryanfojtasek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2012
It sounds like you got a logic board out of a Mac Mini.

I don't think it will cause any problems, but I'd still take it back to Apple and have them take a look.
Did you go to an Apple store or an authorized repair center?

It was an Apple store. I'll make an appointment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.