Macbook tilted stands burn out hard drives faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darkpurple, Feb 19, 2008.

1. darkpurple macrumors newbie

Hi, I read somewhere that placing your laptop on one of those tilted stands (for ergonomics and/or cooling purposes) burns out the hard drive faster cause of how the disc spins. Is that true? Does anyone have any experience with that?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't see how the angle is going to decrease the MTBF. You're fine.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Where exactly?
    I've never heard of this ever being the case, and it doesn't make any sense to me either. Don't concern yourself with this.

4. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

I doubt that this is the case, it's just a rumor I'd say.

5. darkpurple thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

Hard drives are mounted horizontally and vertically, i don't see why somewhere in between will cause any more stress than usual.

As for the stand, that should work fine - I use a dvd case as elevation at the back and it works well, the casemate seems to have a similar elevation.

7. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Proper cooling is handled sufficiently with no elevation. Anything you get will be just fine.

8. tsd macrumors regular

"Proper cooling is handled sufficiently with no elevation. Anything you get will be just fine."

True. Your computer didn't come to you with a broken cooling system. Our 15" MBP does fine so long as it's on a solid surface (like the manual suggests).

9. kolax macrumors G3

Hard drives now-a-days perform well in horizontal or vertical positions. But, I remember reading somewhere that laying them vertically can decrease performance slightly - don't quote me on that. I can't find a source, so probably BS.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Do you recall when your teacher sits you on a swivel chair and hands you a spinning bicycle wheel?

Sounds like the same principle on a smaller scale.

11. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The pictures of the Blackbook have the lid on backwards. If you look at the first pic where the handle is on top. it shows the Superdrive on the left side. That side should be the USB, PowerAdapter, Firewire side.

12. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

13. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

I swear there are more old-wives tales floating around this forum than there are on the parenting boards.:D