MacBook + Time Machine + New hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shady825, Aug 19, 2009.

1. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

(posting from iPhone)

today I bought a 7200rpm 500gb seagate hard drive.
    The installation went great.
    Reinstall of osx went great...kind of..

The computer is up and running but at osx 10.5.5
    and I noticed my color profiles have not migrated over so I'm guessing other things haven't either... My AT&T card is also encountering a "fatal error" while trying to connect so I can't even get online to try to update.
    What went wrong? What should I do?
    I did a TM bck up right before the HD swap.

Thanks in andvance.

EDIT: did some searching and came across "SuperDuper". Trying to "clone" my stock hard drive now... Hope this works

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you have trouble with this, it could be your method. Here's what I'd do:

1) Put your stock drive back into your MacBook. Put the new 500GB into an enclosure and attach it. Then, using Disk Utility, format (Mac Extended/Journaled), partition (GUID), and name the new 500GB drive.

2) Using SuperDuper! clone your internal (old) drive to the new drive.

3) Boot to the new drive in the enclosure by restarting your MacBook and hold down the option key while it starts to bring up a startup drive selection. Pick the new drive so you can test to make sure that the cloning process has worked and provided you with a drive matching your old one. It will work a little slower because it's attached via USB.

4) Switch the drives. Done.

3. shady825 thread starter macrumors 68000

shady825

Thanks! I got everything working as it should..
    I really wish the time machine back up would have keep everything in tact. I really wanted to do a fresh install...
    What exactly does a "archive and install" do?
    I have permissions that are always jacked up so id really like to do a clean install and try to solve the problem..
    I just need to be 100% sure ALL my settings and files make there way over to the new drive..

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan