Macbook Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hypnospastic, Aug 25, 2008.

1. hypnospastic macrumors newbie

I have my Time Machine backing up to an Maxtor External HD connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station. Everything works fine over my wireless network.

I purchased a 1TB External HD and the Belkin USB 2.0 Plus Hub (4-Port). I then connected my 500GB external and the 1TB external to the hub and plugged the hub into the back of my airport extreme. Upon trying to access either external HD, it will hang up and then stop the wireless broadcast. I have to then disconnect both from the hub and then reconnect only one HD to the airport express directly and it works fine.

My question is, is it possible to have 2 external HDs hooked up to a powered USB hub and connected to the Airport Extreme? If so, what do I have to do to get my setup to work properly?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

3. hypnospastic thread starter macrumors newbie

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Does it work if you connect the hub to your mac directly and then conenct the two hard drive to it? Does it work?

5. hypnospastic thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had the opportunity to try that option yet. I was going to this morning but it will have to wait until after work. I will give it a shot and post the results.

THANKS!

6. hypnospastic thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Well I just plugged the hub into my mac with both external HDs connected and it works seamlessly. I tried again to plug them in to the airport extreme via the hub and it failed to mount, disconnected my network, reset my airport extreme......

CAN ANYONE HELP??

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

Im not sure airport can handle more than one hdd attached to it.

I was under the impression it only works with the one, i may be wrong

8. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Try connecting the 1TB drive to the Airport by itself, to make sure it will work with the Airport. If that works, then try connecting the hub to the Airport with no drives attached, to make sure it is compatible with the Airport, then try adding 1 drive to the hub, and then try adding the other.