MacBook & Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hook85, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Hook85 macrumors member

Hook85

I *hope* that I am being a bit dense here, so bare with me.

I want to backup my Macbook using time machine. I currently have two external hard drives, both of which are attached to my iMac. Now my understanding is that I can't easily back up from my Macbook to a hard drive that is attached to another networked mac.

A potential solution is that I could if I had an airport extreme plug a hard drive into that and back up as if it was a network drive. I don't have an airport extreme.

Another solution would be to use the USB to USB-C cable to plug one of the external hard drives into my Macbook. However, I wouldn't be able to charge the rMB at the same time and my current settings are that it shouldn't back up when on battery power. It would also require me to manually plug in my USB drive every time I wanted to back up.

Surely there is a simpler solution than this???

(p.s the 'n' key is starting to drive me crazy - see other thread!)

2. ahostmadsen, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Use the Digital AV dongle from Apple. That way you can charge and backup at the same time. Also, whenever you charge, you automatically backup (assuming you leave the HD connected to the dongle). Of course, if you never want to connect an external display, the Digital AV port is overkill, but probably soon there will be a 3rd party accessories with USB-c + USB only.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is very easy to do. Just install OS X Server on the iMac then the attached USB drive will be available for Time Machine backup over the network from the MacBook.

https://www.apple.com/osx/server/

4. Hook85 thread starter macrumors member

Hook85

Thanks very much, I'll give this a go.