Macbook to Desktop Help??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abthegreat, Jun 1, 2008.

1. abthegreat macrumors regular

I just gutted my macbook to try and make it an ultra compact mini like desktop.Are there any hacks out there to power on without the keyboard.I already use the reed sensor hack for it to boot directly of the external display.Is there any way that we could hotwire the macbook to turn on with just any push button switch.

Thanks In Advance
    Ab

2. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

3. abthegreat thread starter macrumors regular

You actually put a magnet at where the sensor that shows the macbook that its closed although it is not.It is right over the battery connector to the logic board.So by placing the magnet stolen from the screen bezel there the macbook will think the display is closed and will boot directly to EXT Display with the lid open.So that the case or something doesn't get warped with the heat

4. mail4asim macrumors member

mail4asim

Thanks for posting the reed hack. This is totally new to me. I use my Macbook with external display and always have to boot up, close the LCD, move the mouse to wake up the computer from sleep and then lift up the LCD again. I have been doing this for a while.. so am used to the whole ritual :)

5. abthegreat thread starter macrumors regular

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Do you still have the battery connected? I saw on an Apple support doc that MacBooks clock down to 1GHz when they run on AC without a battery inserted. Is this true?

P.S. Did you mount it in a custom enclosure of some kind? Do you have pics of the finished product?

7. abthegreat thread starter macrumors regular

I have got it to turn on once but the latest update,I broke the logic board connector between the trackpad controller and the keyboard.So no power button,i cant turn it on now.I only found one UK site selling a replacement Trackpad controller board at 35Pounds.Since i am from india and have spent all my money elsewhere it is an issue to get one.

Thats why i need a cheap DIY power on button of somesorts or a very cheap 10-20$ trackpad controller