MacBook to HDTV resolution problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rph105, May 12, 2009.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

I've got my MacBook attached to my 40" Sony Bravia HDTV (KDL40W4500), and when I mirror the display or use the HDTV as the primary screen it cuts off portions of the screen like the main toolbar on top, as well as some of the dock.

I tried to change the Screen Format on my TV but that doesn't seem to work, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

2. gorebeast macrumors newbie

gorebeast

I am experiencing the same problem with my MB-Pro and my Hitachi 50".

I've read that in previous version of Mac OS (before 10.4, I think) there used to be a checkbox in the Display settings to disable/enable Overscan. Recently Apple removed that checkbox.

I then read that the problem has something to do with 1:1 pixel mapping on your TV. Apparently my TV can't accept the PC signal from DVI-to-HDMI.

Your problem might be solved with a VGA-to-HDMI cable (if you are using HDMI to connect to to your TV of course)

3. Colin Guinn macrumors newbie

I have been having the same issue with my 17 UMBP connected via MDP to HDMI adapter to a 46" Samsung LN-T 4665.

I do have the overscan checkbox in Mac OS under "options" in the display settings (the box that appears for your TV). When I select overscan, it has the same problem that the OP is seeing, then if I uncheck it, I can see the entire image but it doesn't fill the entire screen. I simply want the computer to send a 1920x1080 signal to the TV so that it will use the whole screen and only the whole screen. My three year old Thinkpad has been doing this flawlessly since I got it.

I've been on the phone with Apple Care for for 30 minutes with no luck whatsoever. I'll report back if we resolve the issue.

Furthermore from my Boot Camp XP, the TV won't recognize any signal at all from the MDP on the UMBP. This seems like something that shouldn't be a huge issues.

These issues are of course compounded when you take into consideration that Apple decides not to pass audio through the MDP...but now I'm just venting.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hey, at least your Samsung lets you "overscan." My LN-T4065f doesn't even give me that option! :(

Although, when I set it up as side-by-side screens, the resolution fits perfectly, I only have the issues when in mirror mode, but I think that's because the MB is 16:10 whereas the TV is 16:9...

5. Markf11 macrumors member

is there any news on this? It's such a silly problem, that unfortunately i'm suffering from as well

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

have you tried a different HDMI port? Sometimes, if you have multiple HDMI ports, 1 is made for a DVI input. On my Samsung PN42B450 if I plug my DVI to HDMI cable into HDMI port 1, I get the exact same problems you all are getting. When I plug it into HDMI port 2, the picture fits perfectly at any resolution.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Looks like I'll be trying HDMI 3 when I get home! The only issue, is that audio is linked to HDMI 1 for "DVI" inputs...

I guess I can use my stereo in the room for audio input/playback then.

8. Markf11 macrumors member

ahh balls. I only have one HMDI input on my tv, ah well, better than nothing. Thanks for the info everyone, glad to know i'm not the only person that this is affecting

9. Absinthminded macrumors newbie

Are you using dvi or hdmi? I had the same problem with my Sony Bravia XBR6 when using the minidisplay port to dvi to hdmi.

It seems the problem wasn't with OS X, but with the hdtv. I was able to fix the problem by going into the the Screen Menu on the tv, and then setting Display Area to "Full Pixel."

I guess "Full Pixel" is Sony's version of 1:1 pixel mapping. Our tvs should be pretty similar so I hope that helps you out.

10. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Most Mac portables are equipped with 16:10 screens, with the exception of the old 12" PPC portables which are 4:3, so when you select Mirror mode, the television, depending on whether or not it internally processes Overscan, will either fit the image to screen with bars to the side, or fit the image chopping off the Menubar and Dock.

When I connect my MacBook (MB4,1) to my friend's 32" TV via mDVI-VGA and select Mirror, it centralises the image and applies black bars to the sides, but OS X gives me the option to Overscan.

When I separate the screens to use independently, the resolution corrects itself but for some inexplicable reason (okay no the reason is James bought a cheap, cheap TV from a brand I have never heard of nor seen in a British electronics shop) the image begins 100 or so pixels to the left and 50 or so too high. We found that selecting Auto-Adjust from the television Video OSD panel would remedy this and center the image perfectly.

Hope this helps.