Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
EDIT: Never mind, got it sorted! Thanks for all your input!

Original Post: So, I have a white MacBook (late 2007), and a 40" Sony Bravia (KDL-40L4000 if it makes any difference), and I want to watch my HD movies in iTunes on the TV without buying an Apple TV.

Having done a bit of research, there doesn't seem to be a clear decision about whether VGA or HDMI is better. I'd like the MB to output in 1080p, so which is better?

Also, would something like this be suitable for the audio? The Bravia manual talks about a mono audio port - I assume this is where it'd go?

Thanks in advance for your help!

thunderboltspro

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2009
Midwest
So, I have a white MacBook (late 2007), and a 40" Sony Bravia (KDL-40L4000 if it makes any difference), and I want to watch my HD movies in iTunes on the TV without buying an Apple TV.

Having done a bit of research, there doesn't seem to be a clear decision about whether VGA or HDMI is better. I'd like the MB to output in 1080p, so which is better?

Also, would something like this be suitable for the audio? The Bravia manual talks about a mono audio port - I assume this is where it'd go?

Thanks in advance for your help!

hdmi is the way to go plus a cord for the sound.

kbotc

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
If you've got available HDMI slots use those, as HDMI is digital while VGA will use analog. The longer you can keep a signal from a computer in it's uncompressed digital format, the better.

As a plus, HDMI supports HDCP, so you'll be able to watch some content that would be restricted over VGA.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Take advantage of one of the cooler features of a macbook... the optical audio out. If you have a home theatre receiver, then it will most likely be compatible. You need a cable like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Connect the mini end to your macbook and the toslink end to your home theatre receiver, and you've got yourself some digital audio. Actually, most HDTVs have an optical audio in, but playing digital sound out of TV speakers kinda defeats the purpose.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
OK, so I think I'll go for the HDMI then! Just regarding the audio, the Bravia manual refers to connecting mono audio - is that what the output from the MacBook would be? And if so, would that be cable be the correct one?

Thanks again for all your help!

Never mind guys, got it sorted. Thanks again for all your help!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Check your hdmi ports one of them should have a 3.5mm audio port or left right audio in. Find out which one has this and buy the correct lead.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
HDMI is a wise choice since it delivers much better picture quality than analog VGA... enjoy your HD setup sensation. I'm sure it'll be wonderful :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.