Macbook to HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iheartchlorine, Oct 10, 2008.

1. iheartchlorine macrumors newbie

Just hooked up my macbook to my new 37" Vizio LCD HDTV (720p). Used a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and a VGA cable, and a 3.5 mm mini jack cable for the audio. Worked like a charm. Plugged everything in, turned it on, and it automatically adjusted the resolution and looks awesome. So I'd suggest just using VGA rather than HDMI if your TV has the VGA input. It's a lot cheaper than buying a mini-DVI to DVI and a DVI to HDMI and an HDMI cable. Also, I used the mini jack cable for audio because my TV only has optical audio out, but I think it sounds pretty dang good.

2. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

You can buy a DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice for $10. Not too expensive for going digital.

3. VintageMac macrumors regular

I've also tried connecting to our 32" Vizio, albeit via HDMI. The fittings are all correct. I plugged into the hdmi1 on our 32" Vizio. I also selected hdmi1 on the tv remote. But it only shows "no signal" on the tv screen. I also went to System Preferences on my MacBook and chose "Displays," but not really sure where to go from there.

Any suggestions? Keep it simple please!

VintageMac

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that means your TV is only displaying analogue from the MB, if your happy with that then good on ya! its awsome! with my MBP i use a DVI-HDMI cable to display at FULL resolution (1920x1080) which looks absolutely amazing. when i try with the dvi-vga, then vga-tv connector is only displays at some crappy 1366xsomething resolution.

after your in displays, look for the "Detect Displays" button, that hsould detect the tv screen and you should be set to go!

5. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

thanks for that info...i'm gonna give it a go

6. piano4tay macrumors newbie

Problem with Macbook to HDMI

Am trying to connect Macbook to HDTV using DVI-HDMI cable. Something weird happens that's stumped me: can see desktop and mouse pointer on the HDTV, but nothing that's on the desktop - no icons, no apps or anything....Was hoping just to play AVI videos from Macbook, but seem to be getting nowhere. Grateful for any advice....

Mark

7. RRutter macrumors 6502

My uncle showed me that tip the other day, actually - quite ironic that this post popped up ;D.

Also, there's already a similar post for this - but that one I linked you guys to asks, and this one tells. Thanks for the tip, iheartchlorine..