Macbook to macbook HDD swap

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sidefx, Jan 27, 2011.

1. sidefx macrumors regular

I currently have a late 2009 polycarbonate unibody macbook and im looking at a late 2008 aluminum unibody macbook for sale. I was wondering if I could just swap the HDDs between the two or if that would cause problems.

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

While the hard drives are compatible and there wouldn't likely be any major issues, I wouldn't recommend it. Sometimes Macs ship with a machine-specific build of OS X and technically that could cause issues.

Why not simply use migration assistant to move your data over?

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Don't bother buying it unless it's the 2.4 GHz model of the Aluminum generation; otherwise it's a clear downgrade. But even then, I've heard that the Early generations of NVIDIA GeForce 9400Ms were more unreliable than the later revs. Worth looking up further though.

Otherwise, I completely agree with the other poster. Just use the migration assistant.

4. aceaceace macrumors newbie

Macbook to Macbook Pro HDD swap worked fine

I just swapped the HDD from a white 13" Macbook 2006 model into a 2010 Macbook Pro 13" aluminum body and vice versa. No major issues. I was sort of surprised it worked so well. So I would figure a Macbook to Macbook would be easier. I posted how I did it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11860662#post11860662 I'm sure there are opinions both ways on doing this swap, but I don't mind taking a few risks and it worked fine. :D

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i dont remember him asking whether it was worth it.....

9400m's are all the same, later ones would not be any better.