Macbook to Macbook Pro Software Compatability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethics142, May 10, 2011.

1. ethics142 macrumors newbie

Hi just bought a new macbook pro: MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.7 13" Early 2011

I also have a older black macbook: Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13"

The black macbook is starting to overheat and or shutdown instantly on me during dj'ing also while watching video or movies. I run SMCfan control to try to keep it cooler but that does not help much. I upgraded the ram and ssd drive to muskin but I'm thinking it may be an issue with the video card. Hopefully something that's fixable because I still need to use the macbook!

I am having issues with some of my software running on the macbook pro. I am a dj using serato and they don't have 64bit versions yet so I am having to boot into 32bit mode on the macbook pro in order for it to work...

I am planning to swap the mushkin ssd drive from the macbook to the macbook pro but I am wondering what software will be able to run or be upgradable.

I will first carbon copy clone the macbook's ssd to the segate in the macbook pro then swap them out and update the ssd from 10.5.8 to 10.6.7. Will that will work? I already got send straight to the terminal with the ssd's current OS version. The macbook pro will not startup from it. So I put them back and decided I better clone them first then upgrade the OS.

My questions are will I be able to just update the OS after swapping the drives? I need to run the exact same programs keeping all my software and settings from the macbook with the ssd installed. Does anyone have any issues with running older versions of programs on the new macbook pro? What programs can I update? Will the older versions even still work?

I'm thinking I may have to always boot into 32bit mode to run my current software versions... I'm sure most of the software has updates for the new macbook pro...some of them I may have to purchase. Most smaller apps seem to be updates but the main programs that I use Serato/Protools/LogicPro/Fireworks/MotionDive/Word etc. I'm afraid might not run...

Does anyone have any experience with these programs or advice for me?

Here's a list of the main programs that I use and the versions:
    Hopefully all these companies get 64bit updates soon!

Adobe Fireworks CS3 v. 9.0.1213
    Adobe Reader v. 9
    CanoScan Toolbox X v. 4.9.3.4
    Logic Pro v. 8.0.2
    MacFreelance
    Microsoft Office 2004
    Microsoft Word v. 040408
    Motion Dive v. 4.1
    MpcPgmMaker v 1.0.7
    Pro Tools LE v. 8.0.0
    Scratch Live v. 2.2

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

You can run 32-bit programs in the 64-bit kernel without a problem. The only issue will be if you need a driver for external hardware.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

be careful with some pro apps (especially the adobe lineup). They seem to act funny when you transfer from one computer to another, or won't let you have the application open on more than 1 device on a network at any given time (i.e. office).

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Adobe's activation system will throw fits. A clean install is the best bet, just make sure you deactivate the other computer.

Also, watch out for some 64-bit applications that use plug-ins; third party plug-ins may not work with 64-bit hosts (i.e. Noise Ninja in Photoshop).

5. ethics142 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should just run the new versions and wait or buy upgrades of most of my software...the settings have all been matched and some of my smaller apps have already been installed!

I guess I'll have to copy the ssd onto the seagate in order to switch them anyway so I'll try it and see if I have problems...some of my software are older versions and would cost a fortune to purchase the updates. Also some of them I don't think they made updates...