MacBook to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwpoore, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jwpoore macrumors member

I will be upgrading soon, probably when the new revisions are released, from a MacBook 1st gen. 1.83ghz CD, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD. What am i going to see from the upgrade? What will be so much different it is worth the upgrade. Hopefully i will be buying the bottom spec model, but soon after purchase will be upgrading to 4GB RAM.

Thanks.

2. kanpachi macrumors regular

You're definitely going to see significant performance improvements just from the additional RAM alone. 1GB IMHO is simply not enough for a fluid user experience, especially on Leopard. I upgraded my MBP from 2GB to 4GB and there's no going back for me.

If you're going to be using your MBP for day-to-day use, you won't see much difference though so I would advise steering away from the MBP since it'd be overkill. However, if you run graphic intensive applications like Photoshop, Final Cut or what not, things are definitely going to be faster and smoother. I wouldn't say screen real estate is that much more on a 15" MBP vs. 13" MB since the resolutions are 1440x900 vs. 1280x800 respectively (about 20% more pixels for the former) and you'd also have to consider that the size is larger so it's less portable albeit weighing about the same. Otherwise, I would recommend either upgrading your RAM on your MB to 2GB if you just want a snappier experience. You could also wait until the aluminum MacBooks come out in June (based on credible rumors), so the specs there may be sufficient for you while allowing you to enjoy the aesthetics of the aluminum casing at a lower price.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You wont notice speed increase if you're just browsing web. You'll see 5-15 times improvement if you're playing 3d games.

Why do people ask about the difference they would see if they upgrade and dont say what are they using their computers for? :rolleyes:

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I prefer the matte screen.

Oh sorry, I used the wrong reply template. MBP, I prefer the MBP.

5. mox123 macrumors 6502

i went from a 15" powerbook to a 13" macbook last summer. I got the macbook cuz i was tired of the 15" form factor and thought the white book was really cute...

just last month i went back to the 15" form factor: a couple problems i had with the 13": screen size too small despite similar footprints for the 13" and 15" machines; the new-style keyboard simply sucked....it felt like those crappy cheap keyboards i had with my old dell laptops....

so i'd say that go to MBP all the way....and never look back