Macbook to Macbook via THUNDERBOLT

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LunarianCrystal, Aug 14, 2013.

1. LunarianCrystal macrumors newbie

Is it possible to just connect both of my macbooks with a thunderbolt cable and have multi-display? I want to utilize both screens using the power of just 1 macbook. Is this possible?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. theluggage macrumors 68030

No, but there's an application called ScreenRecycler that lets you use a second computer as a secondary display via the network.

Because the image is generated on the master machine and then compressed & sent via the network there's some loss of quality (esp. when things move) but if you're just looking for a second screen to park reference material or tool palettes it should be fine.

The other possibility is synergy - superficially this is nothing to do with "dual displays" but it lets you seamlessly control two side-by-side computers from one keyboard & mouse (including copy & paste support) - so, again, you can easily use the second screen for reference material etc. When I'm developing a website I often have the test server & editor on one machine & the site running in a browser on the second machine.