Macbook to PC Transfer - TOO Slow *HELP*

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redkulat, Dec 16, 2008.

1. redkulat macrumors newbie

Hi there everyone,

I got my Macbook in the summer of 2007, so before the Leopard update, and it works great and all. However I like to transfer items from my Mac to PC and vice versa.

I've set up all the server and file sharing stuff, but everything moves so slowly.

I have a network setup with a D-Link wired router (10/100 MB/s). But it doesn't seem to be helpful with LAN transfers. It transfers at a speed of about 1 MB/s which is way too slow for a LAN.

For example one time I was transferring files with a buddy at school and we connected them together with an ethernet and a 4 GB file transferred in less than 10 minutes.

If I try that at home it will take about 5+ hours. Is there something I need to do? It's been bugging me for a while and there has to be a solution. Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jisuo macrumors 6502

When I wanted to transfer 50+GB of stuff from my PC to my mac I did like this.

Connect the PC and Mac directly with an ethernet cable, just the cable between them.

On the Mac, go into System Prefs>Network>Built-in Ethernet>TCP/IP and enter the following:-

IP address 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.1.1

On the PC, go into Start>Settings>Network Connections. Right click on Local Area Connection and select properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list and click on the button marked Properties. Set as the following

IP address 192.168.1.2 <- Note the 2 here.
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.1.1

OK all the boxes.

Now from the Mac, select Connect to Server from the Go menu, and type

smb://192.168.1.2

You should be prompted for a password. Transfer the files, then set everything back to automatic addressing on both machines so it doesn't cause problems later.