Macbook to replace iMac as main computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AppleWarMachine, Oct 5, 2015.

1. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Last week I started having issues with my late 2009 27" iMac 3TB HDD (very slow, then the screen just turns all grey, I'm assuming a hard drive failure). I rarely ever use my iMac, it just more of a storage unit for all of my movies, photos, etc. (about 2GB worth). I also have a WD 3TB external drive for time machine use. Can i just buy the Apple USB C adapter cable to charge my 2015 Macbook and have the external drive plugged in as well. Would it be that easy and/or worth it to make the switch. (Note: I also have an Airport Extreme and Apple TV that I use with it at home. Any thoughts???...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure, it doesn't sound like you're using your iMac all that much. The only downside I can see (other then the performance difference) is the fact you're going to a smaller display.

3. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

It's all personal opinion, but I couldn't do it.

I find myself flipping between my Macbook and desktop Mac nonstop. Just depending on what mood I'm in. On a desktop computer, I can slouch down and relax and do whatever. On a laptop, I have to sit at a 90 degree angle on a desk to see the screen and use the keyboard/pad.

Get an older Mac Mini and monitor. I have a 2011 Mac Mini and this thing hasn't slowed down a bit! I love it! Upgraded the RAM of course myself to the full capacity.

4. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Can't you plug the external drive into the Airport Extreme and have it available always, so you don't need to be tethered with the Macbook? It charges ridiculously quickly.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have a 2008 iMac that is basically a storage/server device as well, and the retina Macbook has become my primary computer. I love having something that is similar in size, weight, and battery life to an iPad, but is really a full OS X computer. Just leave the hard drive connected to the iMac and you will be able to configure access to everything, including Time Machine backups, over your wireless network. No reason to physically plug it in.

6. AppleWarMachine thread starter macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

Great idea, thanks!

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I switched from an iMac to a MacBook long time ago, but a MacBook Pro.
    I think the Retina MacBook is not intended as a primary computer.

8. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Why wouldn't it be? What is your reasoning for that statement? Mine has become my primary computer, and I'm coming from a rMBP 15"

If it does what you need it to do, it most certainly can be a primary computer. And screen size isn't enough of a reason to say it can't be, because they make monitors of any size that you can plug in — I have a 21" monitor that I can connect my rMB to when I want to.

If you're doing graphic-heavy things, or processor intensive things, then no, the rMB can't be a primary computer. But for most people, it can be. And I guarantee you that many people use it as their primary machine. I can find dozens of examples right here in this forum!

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

lack of external ports, lack of computing power for demanding tasks, a less-than-ideal keyboard ... the rMB is a wonderful device, but I can't see it as a primary computer.

Sure, there can be people with different needs.
    There are people that can use an iPad as primary computer ....

10. pmouritz macrumors member

As many have pointed out it really depends on your needs. I'd say that the port isn't a significant problem since most transfers is wireless. I use Dropbox/OneDrive for file transfer, my mouse and keyboard is bluetooth and so is my Beoplay A2 speakers and Airplay in the living room. I only use a normal USB thumb drive once or twice a year, so I wouldn't say the ports is a problem. I'd get the AV adapter with USB 3.0, USB-C and a HDMI. For a external monitor I would use a HDMI to DVI into that same AV adapter, furthermore I would keep a USB-C to USB 3.0 in my backpack at all times - just in case. So I guess it depends on your needs. Currently I'm thinking about selling my rMBP 15" medio 2012 and get a rMB since I don't use the juice that my rMBP produces and are getting tired to carry it around at university and work.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The rMB is my main computer. At work I dock it to an external display. I mostly use the office suite and a custom software my work uses. I do not need anything more powerful. A few days a week I am mobile, and nothing can touch the portability of the rMB.

The single port is actually awesome. Prior to the macbook I was using a pro. When I would dock to an external display my laptop looked like an octopus, but now it is a single cable.

12. pmouritz macrumors member

Can I ask which external display do you use and how is your setup?

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This is the monitor I am using
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0EQD1Q/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B00M9B3S0W

I keep a power cable and HDMI cable plugged into this adapter
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...8557b655fcdda96e9bdcc3cd34089e8aa4b44343e70dc

When I get to work I just plug the single cable into the macbook's USB-C port. I also am currently using the apple trackpad and wireless keyboard, and this weekend I am going to pick up the magic keyboard and trackpad 2.

14. pmouritz macrumors member

Awesome! I'm considering the exact same setup as you but are you able to get 1440p resolution through the HDMI? Some forums says that U2715H should be able to transfer 1440p through HDMI but other says you need to convert the HDMI signal to something else, such as DVI or DP. I use a magic mouse and wireless keyboard which seems sufficient to me. Al though the new charging capabilities of the 2's seems quite nice but I'm still missing backlight keys.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

You can get 1440p with just HDMI. If you want to get more resolutions you can download "SwitchResX" and it lets you pick a lot more resolutions. Text can be pretty small on a resolution that high.