Macbook to replace iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rangerdanger, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rangerdanger macrumors member

Looking for some advice regarding MB's and iMac's. Currently, I run an iMac 24", 3.06Ghz., 2GB of RAM, 500GB HDD, etc. I bought it last year, and I'm starting to regret not getting a laptop for portability, etc. Currently, Mom and Dad are looking to make the move to the Apple side, and they want a desktop. I'm seriously considering selling the iMac to them, and buying either buying high end MB or low end MBP.

Just some info on what I'll use it for, web browsing, school papers and presentations, some iMovie stuff, iPhoto, and iTunes. Nothing graphic intensive. Also, I would not lose the use of the iMac, as it'll just move rooms.

Also work during the 10 weeks of summer I have off school. With that money I'd buy external monitor, wireless keyboard, and external hard drive.

Any thoughts on this. Like I said, I wouldn't be using it for anything graphic intensive.

2. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I absolutely would sell it to your parents and purchase a low end MBP.

3. Apple all life macrumors 6502

Why not purchase a high end macbook and then with the extra money buy an external monitor?

4. nza macrumors member

I agree, if yer not going to be using it for anything graphic-intensive, then there's no reason to NOT make the switch to a notebook. :)

Just make sure you save yourself at least $200 to buy an external monitor, it's a MUST if a notebook is going to be yer primary computer.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

6. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. I got to stop in at Best Buy today and messed around with the MB's and MBP's. I couldn't tell that big a difference between the two when I tried out the tasks I'll be using. I loved how light the MB was. And the screen size is perfect for on the go, at least for my taste.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the only reason i would say 2.4 is that you're used to the 3.06... if you weren't then i'd say the 2.0 is MORE than fine!! it has been for me and many of my friends who make a living from designing