macbook to sdhc card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wornout, Sep 11, 2011.

1. wornout macrumors member

I have a little group of photo's that I want to put onto a new sdhc card because my printer won't print photo's on to photo paper unless it is straight from a card!!

I cannot fathom out how to do this from iphoto. :confused:

Anybody know?

Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just drag each photo to the desktop (or a folder you made on the desktop), then in the Finder drag those same photos to the SD card.

3. wornout thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that but I must be doing something wrong.

This Macbook Pro is very new to me and I am not up to speed yet.

I put the sd card in the laptop and a little icon popped up so I dragged the required photo's to that but there is nothing on the sd card :confused:

Going wrong somewhere...........any ideas?

I need instructions in words of one syllable :eek:

Thanks

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe you need to drag them out of iPhoto and onto the blank desktop (or a folder on the desktop) first... THEN as a second step drag from the desktop to the SD card. I don't think you can drag straight from iPhoto to the SD card.

5. wornout thread starter macrumors member

Hi Weaselboy

OK, did as you said and got everything on to a folder and from there into the SD card icon. When I clicked again on the icon it showed me the photo's I had dragged on to it........................however, when I put it into my camera it tells me there are "no valid pictures to play".

Any idea why that would be?

Thank you again.

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

have you looked at the filestructure inside the SD card. Cameras don't store photos on the root folder of the SD card, they usually put it in some kind of [card]/DCIM/[something or other].

Put it in that part of the SD card and you'll be set. and if you don't know the file structure/you can't see it, then take a picture with the camera and then you should be able to figure out where on the SD card your camera stores photos.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

GuitarG20 probably hit on your issue. But I thought you wanted to print from the SD card? You printer might recognize the photos from the root level where the camera does not.

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

true, although some printers also only look for the DCIM folders to find photos.

9. wornout thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both...........but I am now totally confused.

I will pop the SD card into my printer when I get home tomorrow night and see if it recognises the fact there are pictures on it.

I took a photo but I have no idea of how to tell which part of the card the info is stored on.

Oh boy, ever wish you hadn't started something...............

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

When you plug it into your MBP, look through the filesystem on the card till you find the pictures... if you put the ones you want to print into this same folder (using finder and the desktop, as detailed above) then you should be able to print successfully. Good Luck, and let us know if you need any more help!

11. wornout thread starter macrumors member

Hello.

I made a new folder and only put the ones I wanted to print into it then transferred to the SD card. I removed the card and and then popped it back into the computer and it showed the pics. :)

I will check it out when I get home and see if it works on the printer. I will let you know.

Thanks again for all your help.

12. wornout thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately the printer I was going to use has just run out of ink and I have no spare!!!!

My other printer shows the photo's :D but I am having a problem with that one as it won't just let me press "go" and then print what is on the card, I will have to go through each one, one at a time.

However, it will let me print from the computer (which the first printer would not allow for some reason) so I am just going to leave the sd card in the laptop and print from there.

At least everything on the SD card is sorted, no need to plough through loads of photo's.

Thank you again for all your help.

13. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20