Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nwindservices

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Hi. Brand new here. I'm about ready to by my first Macbook. Thinking about a refurb early 2010 17" Macbook Pro , 2.8 with an i7. Anyway, I just want to make sure I can hook it up to a Thunderbolt Display if I buy one. If so, what cable do I need. Sorry for the noob question. Just learning. Thanks.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: TB Display...

Hi. Brand new here. I'm about ready to by my first Macbook. Thinking about a refurb early 2010 17" Macbook Pro , 2.8 with an i7. Anyway, I just want to make sure I can hook it up to a Thunderbolt Display if I buy one. If so, what cable do I need. Sorry for the noob question. Just learning. Thanks.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem connecting the 2010 MBP to an external TB Display, as the TB and MiniDisplay Port plugs are the same as far as the video/audio are concerned. But you should realize that a 2010 MBP does not have a Thunderbolt port, it has a MiniDisplay port -- so no daisy-chaining and no super fast data communications.

Regards,
Switon

nwindservices

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply. After posting this, I did some more research, and you are correct. I did discover that I can use a Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) without any problems, using the MiniDisplay port. So that's fine with me. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.