Macbook to TV and Flatscreen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awuertz, Dec 2, 2009.

  1. awuertz macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2009
    I don't speak electronics. So please excuse my lack of proper terminology.

    I have a macbook and I want to connect it to a TV (the old boxy kind) and a flatscreen Samsung (I don't know if it is a plasma or a LCD, or if there is even a difference). What kind of accessories will I need to do this?

    I hope someone can help me and thank you in advance!
  2. skorpien macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008
    That would depend on which version of the MacBook you have and what connections are on your televisions. AFAIK, you can't connect your MB to both at the same time without the use of an external video card.

    If you have a unibody with Mini DisplayPort, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI or Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter depending on your TVs' inputs. There are third party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI that you can get if your TV only supports HDMI.

    Or if you have an older MacBook with a Mini-DVI, substitute the words "Mini DisplayPort" with "Mini-DVI" from all of the products I suggested.

    As it is though, your post contains way too few details to make a proper suggestion.
  3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Oct 21, 2008
    To connect to the flat screen, you'll need a mini-DVI (if you've got an older plastic MacBook) or mini-Display Port (if you have a unibody MacBook) to HDMI. Your TV probably supports VGA, too, but HDMI is a better quality link.

    To connect to the tube TV, you need a mini-DVI or mini-Display Port to component connector - it turns your computer output into those yellow/white/red cables. Keep in mind the tube TV is probably only has 480 lines of resolution, so it will make a poor monitor. You should be able to watch movies on it, though.
  4. awuertz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 2, 2009
    First of all, thank you for your wonderful response.

    To clarify - if I buy a mini-DVI and a component connector I'll be set if I want to connect my macbook (circa 2006) to both my tube TV and my flatscreen?

    And, what is the differece between a mini-DVI and a mini-Display Port?
  5. skorpien macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008
    Just to clarify, you want Mini-DVI to Video Adapter:

    Both of your sets should have a group of three inputs coloured red, white and yellow. The adapter I linked to connects to the yellow, or video. The red and white are right and left audio channels. If they have those connectors (the flatscreen almost certainly will), then you're set.

    And to answer your other question, Mini DisplayPort is the new display output technology used in all of the new unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros (late 2008 - present). Mini-DVI is the one used prior to that, which is on your model of MacBook.
  6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Oct 21, 2008
    No problem. :)

    Yes - with those two connectors, you'll be set. You don't strictly need the mini-DVI to VGA/HDMI if you only want to watch movies/view photos on your flatscreen. But if you want to use the TV as a monitor for Safari/whatever else, then you'll want the HDMI connector, which supports more resolution.

    Mini-DP replaced Mini-DVI. It supports more resolution, so the MacBook can drive a 30" monitor now whereas the old ones topped out at 24".

Share This Page