Macbook to TV Connection Trouble

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gliderdan, Sep 13, 2009.

1. gliderdan macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I have a 13.3 inch White Macbook from late 2007... I have a Mini-DVI to Svideo and Composite connector and I've bought both an Svideo Cable and a Yellow male to male composite video cable... It seems I've tried almost everything and wasted hours but the most I've been able to get is: sound and a tripled, Greyish, grainy image of the movie on the TV... My tv doesn't have any other connections and with the svideo no picture shows up at all..just the sound... I've tried every display option on my macbook, tv and in my video player but nothing seems to work... any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks, Dan

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What resolution are you trying to output?

A lot of times, 640x480 or 800x600 is as high as you'll want to go over S-video or RCA.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like you are connecting the Composite (yellow) cable to a Component (Red, Blue, Green) connection, or the computer is sending the signal in either PAL/SECAM (50Hz) or NTSC (60Hz) and the TV is the opposite.

TEG

4. gliderdan thread starter macrumors newbie

I double checked and it's definitely a Composite connection and not a component (though I found my Tv does have Component) as for the PAL/SECAM and NTSC I'm not really sure what that means... are 50hz or 60hz the only 2 possibilities for the TV to be set too? if so then one of those should work right?

Thanks for your help, Dan

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg

If you're in a "green" country you're TV is NTSC (60hz).

6. gliderdan thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought something like that might be the problem, but as I said before I tried all of the output settings and none of them worked :( Thanks anyways..

7. gliderdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! so I should try all the 60Hz settings again? or is there a setting on my tv or computer that should say NTSC 60hz?

8. gliderdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but my computer and Tv were both bought in Canada so I don't think either of them would be set to PAL/SECAM (50Hz)..

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Your TV is only NTSC, it's not a setting but a regional specification.

10. gliderdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... so I guess Teg is probably wrong then?

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Check the refresh rate in the Monitor Preference Pane, and make sure it is set to 60Hz, and try different resolutions. Also try mirroring the screens to make sure it works.

TEG

12. gliderdan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll defs try that :D