macbook to tv, cuts off top and bottom

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i0Nic, Aug 17, 2007.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

hey guys, just tried connecting my TV to my macbook and a slight margin off the top and bottom gets cut off on the tv, ie half the dock and most of the top bar.

The tv is a panasonic 720p plasma, connected to the macbook through a mini-dv to VGA adapter, and VGA to hdmi lead to TV.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Go to your Display Prefs for the TV and under Options turn Off Overscan. Otherwise I am not sure the problem. Maybe mess with the resolutions.

3. HoosierInFL macrumors regular

Same thing happens to me on my 720p TV. If I turn off the overscan setting on my Mac Mini, I can see everything but I now have black bars on all four sides. Messing with the resolutions doesn't do any good either. It's rather disappointing. I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable.

4. iDave macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem but the image is a bit above center so the menu bar is right where it should be. I think normally, TVs use overscan to eliminate this problem. By turning it off, we're exhibiting the imperfection or slight misalignment of the image on the screen. Short of having micro adjustments on the TV to exactly center and align the image, I don't know what can be done. I'm learning to live with the black bars on three sides. It's not really a big deal to me.