Macbook to TV Help??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snook911, Sep 22, 2012.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Ok I have a 2011 Mac book pro that I am trying to hook up the TV with HDMI. I Have Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and HDMI cord and when I hook it all up nothing happens. Is it possible I am missing a setting on the laptop?

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Make sure the tv is set to HDMI input. System Preferences > Displays should have Detect Displays option. Try another cable/tv to isolate the issue.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you're using gfxCardStatus make sure you're not set to Integrated Only.

That really doesn't help. What, specifically, are you doing? Are you switching the input on the TV?

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Whaaaa? The TV doesn't automatically detects a new input has come on and switches to it? LOL.

Am sure OP has hit a few buttons already.

5. JRHawley2307 macrumors newbie

Internet

Hi

I can connect my macbook to the tv through a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and then hdmi from the adapter into the tv, the only problem that I have though is that my macbook can't use the internet whilst connected, does anyone know how to fix this issue?:(

6. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

What TV do you have? It is very possible that your TV does not accept Computer resolutions on the HDMI ports. And/or see if one of your HDMI ports is says "DVI" on it. One of my Panasonic Plasma's does not like some common "computer resolutions" unless I use the one HDMI port that says "DVI" on it.

Of course there is always the option of using a VGA connection (unless you want the ease of audio through HDMI).

7. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. It worked fine when I had my mac mini hooked up to it but I sold that and bought the macbook. I think its proabably the adapter. I was a cheap $10 dual dvi/HDMI combo. The DVI side works OK to hook up my monitor but the HDMI side I get nothing. I think I'll try a quality adapter from Apple and see if that works. Thanks again.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Funnily enough my new TV will only detect inputs where something is connected and turned on (great feature btw) but will not automagically switch to it :)