MacBook to TV Newbie Help Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sophieb, May 26, 2011.

1. sophieb, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

sophieb macrumors newbie

Hi, first post :)

I've been looking for a while now about this but so far I've struggled to understand some of the jargon but also got a number of different answers.

Basically, as it's half term and summer soon I want to start watching some movies from my MacBook through my TV and I'm not really sure what connectors I really need.

I've got the early 2008 MacBook and a Wharfedale TV (I got it for my 14th birthday so around 4/5 years old).

Best case scenario is that I get a cable to deliver both audio and video to my tv. If not I get 2 separate cables.

Could someone post exactly what I need to buy in order to do this and a little bit of information as to how to set it up (if I have to use 2 separate cables) preferably with language I could understand.

Here's a picture of the connectors on my TV.
    It also has RCA on the side.

Many thanks to anyone that helps. :)

*EDIT*
    Finally found the model of my TV and it's connection specs.
    Wharfedale LCD42F1080P
    2 HDMI sockets.
    2 SCART sockets.
    PC input socket.
    Component video socket.
    Composite.
    Headphone socket.
    AV socket.
    Back DC socket.

Also.
    Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels (if that helps in any way)

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

There are a lot of unknowns in your post, so I can only offer suggestions. It looks like your TV has HDMI and VGA, so you want a miniDVI cable with one of those connectors on the other end. You probably should stick with HDMI, so you have a digital to digital connection. Something like this would probably work:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041912&p_id=4852&seq=1&format=2

That won't transmit audio though, so you need a separate cable for that. Your image isn't clear enough for me to see what audio inputs you have besides component.

3. sophieb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-you! I'll try to get a better picture asap. It's from my phone so obviously not very good.

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that your MacBook doesn't have Audio on the Display Port - so you would need an adapter that connects to both the Video port and either USB or the headphone jack to provide the audio for HDMI. Adapters like those do exist, but I don't have a link...

If you don't mind spending $99 and you have an available HDMI port on your TV, the Apple TV 2 is a very good solution! More expensive than a cable & adapter, but much more elegant.

5. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Since your TV has a headphone input, you can probably use any 3.5mm stereo cable to connect to your laptop for audio

6. sophieb thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about asking for that for christmas but I didn't know enough about it, plus our broadband was tragic then. Might ask for it for my 18th in 2 months time. I live in the UK so it's £101 but that's not too bad. But for now I think I'm going to buy the Mini DVI to HDMI then a HDMI cable and use my uncles speakers. But I'll see if anyone else suggests anything. Thanks :)