Macbook to TV Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tris092, Oct 21, 2011.

1. tris092 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Really need some help on this, i know its been covered plenty of times before, but i still cant figure out the best option.
    I can get my macbook to appear on my tv screen, however i cant get sound. Ive tried using rca cables alongside it, but not sure the tv works together like that.
    Here is what the back of the tv looks like.
    [​IMG]
    What can i do to make this work?

Thanks for any help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Depending on the generation MBP you have, you have a few options. Please, tell us what revision of the MBP you own? 2011? 2010? 2009?

Looking at the back of your TV, the simplest thing would be to buy something like a MiniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, along with a male to male 3.5mm stereo cable. You'd plug those in in the two port "above" the wire we're seeing in your picture.

3. tris092 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the macbook about a 4/5 months ago.
    So the 3.5mm stereo cable would go from the headphone jack on my macbook to the hole underneath the vga part on the back of the tv, is that correct?

Thanks for your help!

4. tris092 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand the audio part now, however when you mentioned the yellow cable, you slightly lost me. Can you show me an image of what kind of adapter i need to buy in order to do this? i understand i need to get the 3.5mm male to male cable too.
    Thanks!

5. simsaladimbamba

The YELLOW part:
    The correct adapter(s), as there is no official MDP to Composite/S-Video adapter: http://www.google.com/search?q=mini....,cf.osb&fp=d64c6c8870e9147a&biw=1853&bih=951

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'd suggestion using VGA over composite (the "yellow cable" mentioned above) assuming that connector under VGA is 3.5mm and for audio. It's difficult to tell based on the photo. Can you not post the exact model, scan of the manual or a link to a PDF of the manual?

Typically you want to use the highest quality connection available. If you can use HDMI along with a separate audio input that would be ideal but that's probably not possible with your TV. With my home system all audio is run through the AV receiver as I don't use the TV speakers at all.